Wednesday, January 29, 2014

 Nick Russell
On Writing Well
I was disappointed with On Writing Well by William Zinzer, yet I can’t remember a book that both pleased and helped me as much as this book has. Although Zinzer’s highly praised book unfortunately fell so short of my expectations, Zinzer writes with such mastery and clarity that I cannot -and do not even want to- disregard any part of this book. The incredibly elusive points of writing, that I have never been able to grasp myself, have been so clearly and logically laid out in On Writing Well that proficiency in the craft of writing is finally obtainable to the everyday writer, including myself. Zinzer has brought us a book not only worth reading, but also worth believing. Taken for what it is, and nothing more, On Writing Well has shown itself to simply be the demystification of writing that students and adults alike desperately need.
While I believe that the lessons of this book can be found almost anywhere else in the writing world, I don’t think that any other author I know of has conveyed them better than Zinzer has. Somehow, he managed to take the basic rules of writing that students, and even some teachers, have simply not be able to understand and made these concepts understandable for anyone with enough money to pay for the book. The book is organized in such a logical, big-to-small manner that each idea naturally builds on the previous one. This is really what allowed me to read this book without noticing the passage of time until my clock chimed. Because of On Writing Well, I have not only understood the ideas presented in the book, but also have applied them (a truth that I find much more impressive for the book than the former).
One of the greatest aspects of Zinzer’s writing is that I believe I could’ve read any one of his other books and learned the lessons of On Writing Well simply by studying his style. Zinzer writes in such a way that there is no doubt of his identity, or of his impressive skill on the craft. His writing in any one chapter displays the lessons of every chapter, and I respect that. Not only did it make reading this book easy and enjoyable, it made the ideas simpler and comprehensible.
Yet, I believe it’s worth saying that Zinzer did not (and perhaps cannot) achieve a memorable voice in this book. He is an expert in conveying his point, but little more is conveyed than that. While I understand that tone is exactly what Zinzer was gunning for, I will not be adapting his ideas of how voice and style should actually flow.
I was honestly impressed with the scope of topics covered in the book, but I also found them lacking in depth that I expected from this book. From interview writing to humor, Zinzer was knowledgeable and understandable with little deviation from whatever point he was making at the time. Also, Zinzer used each topic to reveal another part of his overall message a little better. By the end of the book, I felt like I had discovered Zinzer’s main idea one section at a time. Yet, I will say that these chapters, despite how clear and applicable they were, did not go into as much detail as I had expected out of such a well renowned book. Zinzer’s writing felt more like good advice rather than detailed instruction. Perhaps my feelings about this fact reflect my own need for concrete guidance rather than subjective advice, so it’s entirely possible that another person would love this aspect of the book. Nevertheless, I found it off putting, and it’s one of the reasons this book disappointed me.
While I may not have been entirely pleased with On Writing Well, I would without any hesitation recommend this book to any aspiring writer (or anyone who has to write at all, for that matter). The comprehensibility of Zinzer’s writing was impressive, and I consider its lessons to be an important addition to my writing. Zinzer is clearly a master of his craft, and his advice is not only worth listening to, but also applying to your own writing. The only advice I would give to potential readers of this book would be to take it for what it is, not for what its build up to be. For what it is, On Writing Well is an incredible read. My disappointment in this book has not stopped me from taking in Zinzer’s advice, and it will not stop me from pondering it more as I grow as a writer. Zinzer has graced the writing community with his brilliant and comprehensive book, and I feel it’s the responsibility of every writer to pick it up and read it cover to cover.


No comments:

Post a Comment