Thursday, January 30, 2014

You're Welcome for Reading "Thank You for Arguing"

                When you see a dangling carrot on the front of a book’s cover, what comes to mind? Aristotle and Abraham Lincoln? No? Okay, how about Homer Simpson? Yeah, me neither. In fact, I can honestly say that I’ve never held the three figures in the same light, or even in the same stream of thought. At least not until I read Thank You for Arguing by Jay Heinrichs, a handbook centered on the art of persuasion. Aside from the carrot cover, every rhetorical concept he teaches seems to tie together surprisingly and captivatingly well in his book, even the three aforementioned people.
                Before I started reading this, my mouth was gaping and I immediately regretted my choice of text – all because of its sheer size. A manual on rhetorical tactics for 328 pages? No thank you. But nevertheless, I had to read it and soon I realized that I had nothing to regret at all! The book was a breeze, and information was craftily laced through the pages in such a way that it felt as though I was going through snippets of a bunch of stories that had no relation to one another. It was a nice break from the typical “Here is how you do this… and here are examples of how to do it.”
            The first thing I noticed about the book’s content was its layout. Contrary to the usual paragraph-by-paragraph, nothing-else-on-the-page look, “Thank You for Arguing” is filled with chapter titles, subheadings, quotes, bolded words, and italicized words scattered about the pages. The book even has sidebars ranging in topics (from running for political office to selling something) to please the reader and to show how the principles that Heinrichs taught can be applied to everyday life. It reminded me of a happy little scrapbook, which is not easy to do with the topic of rhetorical strategies.
                Now, before you read this review any further, you should know that I’m a sixteen-year-old girl that has harbored a not-so-secret disgust towards rhetoric – mostly because I’ve never been able to accomplish it myself. I say this only to show how negatively biased I’ve been about rhetoric and its related techniques and strategies. Somehow, my opinion of its principles has done a complete 180° turn, meaning I now view it as one of the most beneficial tactics a person can use. I think it’s safe to say that Heinrichs’ power to persuade actually persuaded me into realizing the importance of persuasion and how easy it is to be persuasive. That’s a lot of persuasion in one sentence, don’t you think? Well luckily, the author never had sentences like that. He used a wide variety of words; however, he didn't seem pretentious or as though he were trying to show superiority. On the contrary, he came off more as a trusted friend rather than a know-it-all, despite the fact that he truly does appear to know it all.
            Throughout the whole book, he  targeted a myriad of ages, supplemented by phrases like, “even though he rocked my confidence by including Captain Kangaroo among his clients” (53) in which he connects to the older generation of his readers. But I had no idea what Captain Kangaroo was. Heinrichs then uses the example, “Parent: Eat everything on your plate, because kids are starving in [insert impoverished nation]” (165) to introduce and help explain fallacies. I’ve gotten this excuse from my parents countless times, and I know others have too, which makes it relatable and connects the younger generation to his points as well. Early into my read, I understood that he was being persuasive to the reader by appealing to a wide audience and coming across more as an advisor rather than as a teacher. Sure enough, a few sidebars began to show “Persuasion Alert”. He literally tells his audience that he is persuading them, and yet he does it in a way that they (or at least I) didn’t end up feeling betrayed.
            Regardless of the joy this book brought me, the explanations and examples started to feel redundant and his writing style ended up being a bit lackadaisical. What I mean by this is that the latter half of it suffered a sense of repetition of the primary half. So, although the ideas and the persuasive tools were different in each new chapter, I found that I was forcing myself to read it – I wasn’t using it for happy, educational purposes anymore. In addition, the author opens up a bunch of extremely controversial subjects. Abortion, rape, gay/straight marriage equality, and slavery are only a few examples of his array of topics. He could just as easily reach his initial mentoring purpose without these topics, and I felt as though those took away from his personality and voice.
            Nevertheless, Heinrichs discovered a painless way to pave a pathway for people of any age on how to effectively persuade. That alone is a huge accomplishment. I would recommend this read to anybody, especially to those who are taking a class like AP Language and Composition or other analytical courses because this book has benefitted me in so many aspects for those types of subjects. Jay Heinrichs, who has been recognized by Bloomberg BusinessWeek Magazine and has clients such as Walmart and some Ivy League universities, spent 25 years of his life in journalism and marketing. He’s a busy, world-famous man, but if I could say anything to him, it would be either the question of ‘What does the dangling carrot have to do with rhetoric?' or a big “Thank You!” for persuading the world one page at a time.

Works Cited
Heinrichs, Jay. Thank You for Arguing: What Aristotle, Lincoln, and Homer Simpson Can Teach   Us about the Art of Persuasion. New York: Three Rivers, 2013. Print.

"Jay Heinrichs." Jay Heinrichs. N.p., n.d. Web. 21 Nov. 2013.


No comments:

Post a Comment