Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Eye Opening Chicago Experience - Andrew Han

For the past 2 years in high school, I would always just glance at the Writing Center and think, "It doesn't look like that big of a deal", after always hearing about it around the school. I always assumed that the Writing Center was just a small place where West Springfield students could go to get help with their writing and never thought about whether other schools also had them or not. I did not realize how clueless and narrow minded I was until the trip to Chicago.

While attending the national writing conference in Chicago, I was amazed to see how large and prominent writing centers were at other high schools, and especially at colleges. It gave me a new outlook on tutoring and made me think, "Wow this really is a big deal". I never imagined that so many other people could be so enthusiastic about tutoring and have their own techniques, viewpoints of the identity of tutors, and other ideas or opinions on tutoring. In a way, I was comforted to know that so many other people around the nation tutor as well which made me feel less different compared to other students in my school that aren't tutors. I also left the conference more motivated to tutor, knowing that tutoring is so prominent around the nation and that it benefits students more than I originally thought.

Touring around Chicago was also an eye opening experience in itself, despite not being related to tutoring, but rather the history and culture of a city I had never visited before. Going through the art museum was perhaps not the most interesting for me compared to other aspects of the trip, but there were some unique and intriguing pieces of art that I found captivating. Walking through the Millennium Park and viewing the famous Sears Tower and the Waterview Tower were amazing experiences as well. I loved the show at the Comedy Sports Club and was astounded by the improvisation done by the performers. All these moments and experiences helped give me a new viewpoint of Chicago as well as an understanding of why it is so famous.

I am extremely glad to have gone on the trip to Chicago because I benefited from the national conference in many ways as a tutor and overall had a great time as a tourist.

4 comments:

  1. I thought about the Writing Center in the same way until I figured out how useful and entertaining it can be. Im glad to hear you learned a lot at Chicago and that it was fun!

    -Jack Dominick

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought about the Writing Center in the same way too. I never even thought that it would be a helpful resource until I visited, and even then I didn't expect that so many other schools nationwide would have a center as well! It's great to know that the conference was eye-opening and that the tour of Chicago was a fun experience!

    -Raghav Goyal

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading about how much you enjoyed the trip! It sounded like a great learning experience as well. I definitely felt the same way you did before I was a tutor until I actually became one!

    -Anna Scolese

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you had a really great time! I never really knew about how prevalent writing centers are before I took the class. It is definitely great to know that the resource is there for people to use while in college (especially since there are so many research papers to write while in college).

    - Megan Beissner

    ReplyDelete