Sunday, November 18, 2012

NCPTW Reflection - Adrienne Stolte


Being a first year tutor and a sophomore is really nerve-wracking for me. I’m really glad I went to the conference. It gave me a bit more confidence in my tutoring. I know my goal so far has been to help the other students at my school. It was nice to get reassurance of that goal and tips on how to achieve it. I really liked the presentations about how to treat the tutee and specific qualities a tutor should have. The tutor should focus the session on the tutee and empower the tutee with analysis questions. The tutor should also make the tutee feel comfortable and good about them. An ideal tutor helps in the time of need, has a desire to help, has patience, is knowledgeable, is a leader, and has confidence. I think I heard a tutor from Niles West HS say, “It takes more than a smart student to be a tutor.” I really like this quote because I don’t have much confidence in the level of knowledge I have now. I know now that with experience I will improve in tutoring. I hope that I am able to attend again and maybe present in the future. To pass on knowledge to future tutors is a precious gift. (^  ^)/

 

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first became a tutor, I felt the same way; I didn't know if my level of knowledge in writing was going to be enough to help other people. But after being a tutor for a year now, I can now see what the Niles' tutor meant. There is more to being a tutor than just knowing how to write. I'm glad you were able to gain more confidence in your own writing as well :)

    ~Stine

    ReplyDelete