Thursday, May 22, 2014

Everyone's Best Friend

  
Displaying photo 2.PNG 

They are heart broken when you leave, they are overjoyed when you come home, they are always happy to see you, and they love you unconditionally. NO, I’m not talking about children, brothers, sisters, wives, husbands, mothers, or fathers; I’m talking about Everyone’s Best Friend. That’s right. Not Man’s Best Friend, but Everyone’s Best Friend.  I have had pets since I was a little girl. I’ve had cats, hamsters, bunnies, frogs, snakes, and fish, but no pet has been a better “friend” than my dog. When I’m sad or angry, who’s there to put her head in my lap and wag her tail in attempt to bring a smile to my face? That’s right, my dog. Who's always the first one to greet me when I walk through the door? That's right, you guessed it, my dog. There’s something special about dogs, something I don’t think anyone can put into words, but I will do my best! Please, enjoy this blog about the one animal that has stood the test of time as Everyone’s Best Friend. 


A Little about My Best Friend 
I was heartbroken when my 13 year old golden retriever Molson died when I was only 7 years old. I didn’t think I would ever get over the pain. She was my best friend, and we had a bond that had been forged in the early years of my life. When it came time for our family to get a new dog, all I could think about was how much I missed my old dog and that no dog would ever compare to her.
Displaying December 2013 020.PNGHowever, I accompanied my family on the 45 minute drive to a small house in Reston, Va. The first thing I saw was puppies. Lots of adorable, furry, itty bitty golden puppies. Of course the excitement of the event made me briefly forget the aching hole in my heart. Immediately I spotted the smallest puppy in the litter. She had a blue collar and adorable brown eyes. I picked her up, cradled her in my arms, and she licked my cheek. At that moment, I knew this was the dog I wanted. We went back the next week to pick her up, and that night my brothers and I slept with her in the living room, spending all night just staring at the most adorable puppy we had ever seen. It’s now been 10 years, I couldn’t be more thankful for my Best Friend.

Treat Your Best Friend Like Your Best Friend 

Often times in our busy lives our Best Friends can get left behind. While we’re constantly running around, they are patiently waiting for us to come home just so they can get a few minutes of quality time with their favorite person/people. So please, don’t forget to spend just a few minutes each day petting, playing with, walking, or even just talking to your furry friend to remind them how much you love them too.
Displaying photo 1.PNG

When the Weather is Nice, Enjoy it With Your Best Friend!
Displaying December 2013 141.PNGNow I doubt you love the outdoors as much as your dog does, but come on, “throw them a bone” and enjoy the nice weather with them! I bet you’ll have a “dog gone” good time! You can even make it a family ordeal and drag the “pack” out with you. Tell them they’re doing it for the dog! “It would mean a lot to the dog,” “Come on, how can you say no to that face,” has worked on me, and I know it will work on others! It can be as simple as a walk around the neighborhood to a day at a park. Recently, my family and I visited Great Falls for the day, and of course my outdoors loving dog accompanied us. She turned out to be a better rock climber than me! That’s right. My dog actually climbed up a small cliff. Granted, the “cliff” was more of a gradual incline, but she still got up quicker and more gracefully than me. Nevertheless, spend some time outdoors with your dog. It’s the easiest way to let them know you love them. If you need some inspiration, you can check out a list of Virginia State Parks here.
Get Their Tail Wagging!





Want to give your Best Friend and Sweet Treat? Here are some fantastic websites with pet friendly treats to reward you furry friend.


If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact me at obxgirrl119@gmail.com!

  

5 comments:

  1. Appreciating your pet is something a lot of people forget to do. I've never had a dog, but I look forwards to having an unwavering best friend in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really cute! I like the little puns and I can relate to it. I have a dog who loves being outside and playing, and appreciating and giving him attention is very important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so intriguing to read about! I never actually had a pet, but after reading this I hope one day I get the opportunity to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading about you and your dog made my heart happy. I wish everyone was able to experience having a loyal, loving pet. I've missed having animals around the house and you just reminded me of the important role pets play for all different kinds of people, pets (especially dogs!) let them feel welcome and content.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute blog! I like the puns and your blog brings back nostalgia when I got my first two dogs, which were my first pets. I was begging for a pet (specifically a dog) and my parents finally surprised me with them when I was 11. One of the most memorable days of my life :). Dogs are definitely the best pets and I need and want to spend more time with them. Unfortunately, homework gets in the way sometimes../: Thankfully summer is coming soon!

    ReplyDelete