Tuesday, May 20, 2014

The Power of DIY

The Power of DIY

Every holiday, millions of dollars are spent as people try to find ways to show their affection or appreciation for someone else. Every week before Christmas, people ram through the malls like a pack of Spartans trying to maul their way through to victory, or in this case, a new pair of shoes. Every week before Valentine’s Day, the shelves of Hallmark are swiped clean by romantics everywhere and become even emptier than Death Valley. Thousands of shoppers, left with no choice but to buy the cards that say “Happy 3rd Birthday,” are forced to scribble all over the front cover as they try to make the 3 look like a sideways heart and try to somehow manipulate the word “Birth” into looking like the word “Valentine’s”.  Since when exactly did a holiday turn into this commercialized affair? Why do people feel like they need to buy something in order to express their love for someone? What happened to the saying, “the best gifts come from the heart?”

To me, the best gifts are the ones that are made by the hand and heart. People can go out and buy anything they want, but things that are homemade are unique and priceless. By doing something yourself, or what some people call “DIY-ing”, you also show others that you are willing to spend the time and effort on them.

Many of you must be thinking to yourself, “Well I can’t even draw a pony to save my life. Nobody is going to actually like what I make.” However, it’s the imperfections that make something look truly handmade. After all, we aren’t robots (hopefully).

By DIY-ing, you can make anything that you could possibly ever want to. Want a new lamp? Make it yourself! Need a new bookshelf? Do it yourself! You do not have to go to the store every single time you need something new. You can make everything with your own hands in the comfort of your own home. (Plus, just think of the money that can be saved!)

Still don’t believe me or need to get some creative juices flowing? Check out some of my favorite and effortless DIY activities. 
              
   


Just look at all the things you can make! The instructions are relatively simple to follow, so it will be easier for you to create an end product that you can be truly proud of. No need for mom to feel embarrassed when she displays one of the DIY projects that you gift her.

Have any suggestions or questions or want more ideas?
Email me at evasdu@gmail.com
       
                                                                                                                     








7 comments:

  1. I love doing DIY stuff! It saved me a lot of money this past Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a Cracked article.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty much my entire "career" as a musician is DIY.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this and the mugs look like the cutest project ever. This reminds me of pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the concept of DIYing but Eva, I can't even draw a STICK figure to save my life.....
    The pictures are awesome, these DIY projects make me feel bad that the only thing I can DIY is cereal. Great Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I stay doing DIY projects for my dorm room next year! Love themmmm

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the idea of DIY is completely brilliant because it saves money and its recycling. Some people are more creative than others though and that's where it gets hard.

    ReplyDelete