Wednesday, March 2, 2016

An Interview With Eva Du





Tutor Spotlight: Eva Du

Eva has been involved with the writing center and Advanced Composition for three years. She's a senior and her favorite subject is science. Something most people don’t know about her is that her toes are double-jointed, but her fingers aren’t. She is co-author of the not-yet-published rap, “Yodeling Yams”. Her parting piece of advice to high schoolers is that people need to stop clinging to that stupid piece of metal known as senior rail. (Also not to care about what others think of you). Thanks, Eva!


Advanced Composition is a class taken by all West Springfield Writing Center tutors. Aside from allowing time for us to tutor students who want the help, we are also an actual course. On days that we do not tutor, we work on projects that introduce us to many different styles of writing and expression. AC 2/3 students take on lead tutoring roles which include collecting and analyzing data and statistics, creating and running workshops for college essays and the SAT writing section, tutor scheduling, and the general promotion of the writing center through social media, posters, and other planned events.


Has being a tutor changed your own writing?
It has made me notice mistakes more. 
I can also hear when sentences sound wrong and make them better.

What’s your worst tutoring experience?
A kid got mad at me because I could not give him the right answer. He wanted me to write the paper for him.

What's your best?
When I can tell the person genuinely feels good and smiles about their paper.

Why do you like Advanced Comp?
We get the opportunity to work with a lot of the kids in our school, and we get to meet people we usually would not.

How is it different than other electives you take?
Advanced Comp. is more involved in the school community.

What’s your favorite project or activity that we have done in Advanced Comp.?
I liked the short story unit. I always had an idea about what I wanted to write, but I didn't have the motivation to write it by myself.

What's your favorite style of writing?
For some reason I really like writing, revising and reading college essays. You don't have to worry about following a rubric, you actually get to write something that's meaningful.

Why do you tutor?
Because I'm forced to (just kidding). This may sound weird, but I like revising grammar because I have a bit of a perfectionist/OCD mindset, especially when it comes to writing. Helping people is also nice.

Do you plan to tutor or be involved in a writing center post-high-school graduation?
No. (Laughs about the absurdity of the idea)

Have any questions or comments?
Email me:
smgroder@gmail.com

Bonus puns! (because three just wasn't enough)









4 comments:

  1. You really captured my essence. Round of applause.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you added a sufficient amount of puns.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You describe Eva pretty accurately, except for the fact that she is not very nice. Just kidding... :) Eva is one of our best tutors and everyone has a great time with her. And she is great at coming up with punny titles

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really love all the puns you added in. I did an interview as well so it's interesting to see how you formatted it. You did a really great job of portraying Eva, so good job!

    ReplyDelete