Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Evolution of a Novice Tutor - Megan McMahon

The Evolution of a Novice Tutor

The Past

Flashback to late September. As I walked through the halls, the unmistakable atmosphere of teenagers who have just returned to school surrounded me. You know what I’m talking about; a practically tangible mix of dread, fatigue, and anxiety. I was about to enter my sixth period classroom at the very front of the building, more commonly referred to as the West Springfield Writing Center. Although I wouldn’t admit it back then, I was extremely nervous.

Flashback even further to the second semester of my freshman year. I was sitting in my bedroom, clinging onto a hardcopy of my Advanced Composition application.

Can I really do this? 

My hands shook as I put it back down for the seventeenth time. I returned to the email containing my final application on my computer, closed my eyes, held my breath, and pressed send, accepting the fact that it was all over. Whatever happened, happened. I either got in, or I didn’t.

But, then again, that wasn’t really the issue. The real issue was this: What if I did get in? I didn’t know the first thing about tutoring, aside from tutoring a second grader. Second grade writing isn’t exactly the same as high school writing.

Needless to say, I began to obsess. If my application did in fact get accepted, I wanted to at least have an idea about what I was going to be doing. And so, I began to utilize my free time and occasional sleepless nights to reading countless websites explaining how to be a writing tutor (Here’s one of my favorites: http://writingcenter.unc.edu/esl/teaching-resources/tips-for-writing-tutors/). Good thing I did because, fortunately, I celebrated my acceptance into the class a few months later.

Anyway, back to late September. We are about to begin our very first tutoring session; well, a practice session among the tutors within the class. I was paired with my mentor tutor: the one-and-only Autumn Barraclough. 

To put it simply, it was, well, not simple. Autumn made sure that I encountered every possible situation that could ever go wrong during a tutoring session, including her having a complete mental breakdown. Pile all of that on top of the fact that I hardly knew her, didn’t know how to tutor very well, and was beyond nervous, and you’ve got yourself a complete disaster. As you can imagine, it was a rough twenty minutes for me.

Moral of the story, tutoring can be extremely difficult. At least I can say that whenever I am struggling through a session with a tutee, I can think back to that experience and realize it’s not so bad after all.


The Present

First of all, my tutoring is definitely not perfect. In fact, it is far from perfect, and that’s okay! I love that not only can I look back and see how far I’ve come since my first tutoring session, but I can also eagerly look ahead at how much more I have to grow as a tutor in the time to come.

Tutoring has taught me how to take things as they come and work with whatever is thrown at me. I’ve learned how to think on the spot, work hard (even on the most difficult days), and push through the rough patches. I’ve learned how to interact with people of all different kinds, smile during my most clueless moments, and brush off any and all awkwardness. I’ve grown so much over the past several months, and a large part of that is due to my experiences as a tutor.

The Future

Okay, secret’s out, I can’t predict the future. What I can do, though, is work as hard as I possibly can now in order to set myself up for success later.

If all goes well, not only will my tutoring improve, but so will I as a person. Tutoring is not simply revising essays and editing grammar errors; tutoring is being able to make friends with  complete strangers, speak your opinion without hesitation, and have unbreakable confidence in yourself.

Thanks so much for reading! If you have any questions or comments, feel free to contact me at memcmahon2@gmail.com.

7 comments:

  1. I love this blog! This is adorable, and I really enjoyed reading about your inner struggle when you were submitting your application--I think we all went through a similar thing! Also, it was super neat how you did the past, present, and future views; I thought that is really unique. Do you have any other funny stories about tutoring? I loved hearing about Autumn; how did you deal with her antics? Did it make you more nervous tutoring her seeing as she was an AC2 and you're an AC1?
    -Sarah Woods

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was really good! I really liked the part when you talked about the future- keep at it! You did a really good job giving the details of how you felt when you were submitting your application- I can absolutely relate to how you felt. Do you plan on sharing your expertise as an AC 2 tutor?
    -Alex Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, yes I put you through a lot, but I'm glad you got the message. By putting you through the worse I ensured that all your sessions would improve! It's kind of impossible to get worse than a mental break down over a paper (fake or not). You handled the situations I threw at you so well I knew you had what it takes to tutor at the Writing Center! Qualities like humility, respect, honesty, and great writing skills is what makes a tutor at the Writing Center a Supreme Tutor. In your first session you demonstrated all of these qualities along with a great sense of humor. Stay awesome and I hope to see you next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, well, well, I'm very surprised to read that YOU, of all people, were nervous at the beginning of your tutoring career. Megan McMahon? The calm and collected , academically excellent student spent late nights doubting whether or not she could tutor? It is not only a HUGE relief to read that I was not the only one freaking out about tutoring, but this information allowed me to directly relate to the blog. Your word choice is spectacular and your entire blog reads like a story instead of an essay. I would expect nothing less from Miss McMahon. :)

    -Hayley Bray

    ReplyDelete
  6. Megan, I love how I can always here your voice when you write! It's fun reading about other's experiences. I'm glad you're more confident now:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could really relate to your nervousness over the application. Honestly, the reason I didn't tutor my sophomore year was because I was too nervous to submit my application. I've observed some of your tutoring sessions, and can I just say that I hope you're no longer nervous, because you have no reason to be. You're a great asset to the Writing Center :)

    ReplyDelete