Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Behind the Scenes Interview

Inside Scoop for Writing/Learning
By Jei-Ming Ang
Introduction:
Have you ever wanted to enter the mind of an English teacher? Well do not worry, you are in luck. Mrs. Deliee is an English 10 teacher, both in the honors and regular levels. She was my English 10 Honors teacher last year. I always wanted to find out how teachers plan their lessons and how teachers who have extensive knowledge in their respective fields learn even more information. Furthermore, my enjoyment of her class led to me wondering Mrs. Deliee’s thought process and background. As a result, I decided to interview Mrs. Deliee.
            Interview:
Q: What sparked your interest to become an English teacher?
A: The love for books, always been a reader. I wanted to share that level of literature with students. However, I did not want to be a teacher first. I was an actress then teacher. Being a teacher was not my original plan.
Q: What type of style helps you best learn?
A: Visual learner, I always have to see everything I am able to process what I see if given directions. I don’t like anything auditory, don’t like audio books as well.
Q: How do you create lessons that involve students to write if you do create any lesson involving writing?
A: Work backwards, I ask myself, “What do I want my student to accomplish?” Develop a path to get to that point. I think about the tools that students are likely to have and which ones they will need. Writing instruction is different from regular analysis but it all ties in together.
Q: What is your take on peer tutoring? How do you think that tutoring can help students learn?
A: Peer tutoring is great. Students are often willing to accept feedback from their peers. I think that students are more receptive to direction or approach rather than from a teacher. Peer tutoring can be more individualized and often self-initiated which gives the students more confidence.
Q: Do you write during your free time? If you do what is your favorite type of writing?
A: I do write on my own, mostly screenwriting for the last several years. Screenwriting involves my partner and me. I enjoy the collaborative and creative process.
Q: Why do you think it is important to learn about writing?
A: People often feel that writing should be something that everyone does. It is a learning process for everybody. Misconception that everyone knows “how to write” limits the willingness to try and write. Writing is hard to do but you must try many times.
Q: How do you teach if some students learn different from the way that you teach? Do you vary your lessons?
A: I vary lessons, try to redo most lessons every year. A lot of that depends on the needs of that specific group. If students aren’t getting what I teach, I try to think if I am relying too much on one approach. I ask to myself what else I can do so I can teach that one person. I try to use variety because not every style fits for every student. I always try to provide choices in each assignment. For students, it is good to know where and how they shine in assignments. However, sometimes I encourage others to try something else. Everyone has to adapt.
Q: What was your best experience as a teacher in terms of writing?
A: One thing I enjoy as a teacher are writing teacher recommendations. Because I get to see the reflection sheets that students have to complete. It is interesting to see the student’s perspective on that specific year. “What was their takeaway?” “What was there most meaningful experience?” I usually am really surprised at what they thought about the classes I taught. It is always nice to see students reflecting.

Conclusion:
            Interviewing a teacher is a great opportunity because now a student has the chance to ask the questions rather than the reverse. A benefit is great to get insider info from someone who specializes in teaching and writing. As a WSHS Writing Center tutor, I wanted to get a different perspective on writing, teaching, and peer tutoring to help me further develop my tutoring skills. Thank you to Mrs. Deliee for allowing me to interview her.

Additional Information to Ponder:



2 comments:

  1. I loved how you asked thought provoking and interesting questions to Mrs. Deliee. Furthermore, I was interested to know what goes on in an English teacher's mind when he/she plans a lesson. It was very cool to know what goes on inside their mind. What brought you to those questions? Why did you ask what you asked?
    Joseph Price

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I really got to know Mrs. Deliee after having read this! Since your interview, have you thought of any ways that the Writing Center could do to further reach out to more teachers? What is Mrs. Deliee's view on the WSWC? Maybe a question you could ask her in the future is what she thinks the Writing Center could do to encourage more teachers to utilize it as a resource.

    ReplyDelete