Thursday, March 3, 2016

Sarahndipity





Wednesday, March 2, 2016


About Sarah

Sarah Woods     Sarah Woods was born on June 28th, 1999, in San Antonio, Texas. As a child in a military family, she moved many times and, as stressful as this was for her, she found comfort in something that was always there for her: books. Sarah grew up an avid reader, and soon discovered a love for writing. From this, she discovered an outlet in which she could express herself and relieve stress.
    Aside from writing, Sarah is also an athlete and upstanding student. She is a goalie for West Springfield's Lady Spartans, and is very dedicated to her sport. Off of the soccer field, Sarah is an outstanding student and participates in multiple honor societies and clubs, including the Writing Center. She has found a way to merge her love for writing with a commitment to a club, as well, as she is an editor for West Springfield's Symposium magazine.

Interview with Sarah Woods

Q: What is your favorite thing about tutoring? Why?
A: I like being able to help people and improve my own writing in the process. Also, I really enjoy writing, so not being a tutor wouldn’t make any sense because I’ve been told that I’m good at it. I like being able to meet people and see how they write things- It’s cool to be able to see techniques of writing I haven’t thought of before so I can incorporate them into my own writing- and some that show what not to do.

Q: What is the most challenging thing about being a tutor?
A:There’s a lot of things. Listening to what the tutee says and working on what they want to work on, not what I think they should work on. I edit a lot (mine, symposium, my sister’s writing), so it’s weird to not be able to fix everything. Also it’s hard when someone comes in who isn’t as into writing as I am -- I’m here, all excited, and they’re not. I forget that people aren’t as into writing as I am.


Q: How do you think tutoring has helped you grow as a writer and a leader?
A: I’ve learned how to communicate with a large pool of people (for example, people who don’t like to write). Also, it has forced me to come out of my comfort zone- I’m not a big talker, so having to talk with others and give them advice on the spot has really helped me improve as a person and a leader.


Q:Do you do creative writing in your free time? What do you like to write about?
A: Shoot! Yes! What do I like to write about? Are you sure? Ok, get your typing hands ready. I like to mainly write fiction because I read more of it. Any kind of fiction- historical, paranormal, urban, anything. I make up a lot of stories...It’s hard to say what I write about because I write about everything. Like, really. When I’m happy, I write. When I’m sad, I write. Between soccer practices, I write. I write about everything. I’ve written a full on story.


Q: What is your favorite genre? How has this shaped you as a writer?
A:[groans] I read everything. I guess I’d have to say any kind of fiction. I tend to write what I read. If I’m reading a story about supernatural stuff, I’ll probably write a story about something supernatural. I take aspects of what I read, and I twist it into what I write.


Q: What is your ideal writing environment?
A: Ok. There’s some background noise- I can’t write in complete silence. It’s weird. No blankets. I get hot really easily, so no socks, either. I have my computer on my lap, and I’m curled up on something cozy. I have a drink and a snack- everything’s spread around me. Nobody bothers me. I get into the writing zone, and then, if interrupted, I get angry.


Q: Aside from reading and writing, what do you do to relax?
A: Oh, god. Is it weird that to relax I read? Also, I tend to reread to relax-- I already know what happens. People have comfort foods, I have comfort books. I listen to music- music with a story. Even when I’m not reading, I’m still basically reading.I sleep a lot and daydream a lot- I’ll just sit and think. Taking really long showers with hot water. Also goalkeeper lessons. It’s hard to stress when there’s a ball coming at your face.


Q:If you could give all students one piece of general advice about writing, what would it be?
A: My first piece of advice- read a lot. all the time. If you want to improve your writing, read.The only way you can improve is with practice, so, when you read a book, you are exposed to more ideas and can learn from them. (There’s a reason why it’s reading AND writing, not just one of the two.) Secondly, don’t overthink it! When you’re writing something, you have to get something down. otherwise you’re never going to get anywhere. So just go! Start writing! You can always edit later. (Sarah mumbles be free repeatedly).


Q:Where do you get your inspiration from?
A:The books I read. Sometimes I’ll read books for specific reasons- an author has good dialogue, setting, or characters. Daydreams also inspire me. I’ll be sitting, and then I’ll suddenly get an idea. My past writing experiences inspire me- my third grade teacher inspired me to write.


Q: What’s your favorite childhood show?
A: Danny Phantom, all the way! And Avatar the Last Airbender. I hated it when Aang had hair- for the first three seasons, he was bald! It was really frustrating to me. I had a crush on Zuko.


Q: If you had to describe yourself in three words, what would they be?
A: Silently judging you


Q:What’s your favorite holiday?
A:Fourth of July! I have a lot of good memories from past years. My family would always go on base- I remember sitting on my dad’s shoulders, holding a sparkler- the most cliche military family fourth of July that you could imagine. Also, it’s summer, and I love summer. It’s my favorite season. Nice and warm, going to the pool, the soccer offseason- it’s great.


Q:What’s your favorite food?
A: Klondike bars!


Q:What would you do for a Klondike Bar?
A: I would take down a bear blindfolded with a plastic spork on the titanic in the middle of the pacific ocean during a storm.


Q:If you had to pick a theme song, what would it be?
A:Oh, gosh! A bunch of violins playing hardcore superhero music with random pauses. In the pauses, there’s a trombone and a tuba going  doot doot doot doot doot with flute accents.


Q:What’s your favorite book?

A: Oh my god. Really? Wait. Oh my god. Oh my god. I can’t do that! It changes all the time! Like for one month, I’ll have a favorite book, then it’ll change the next month and then change back the next month.Want a list of my top 20 at the moment? It might change.

Advice for aspiring writers


"Write how you want to write. Listen to other people, but don’t depend on their advice. Write in your own style. I’ve read so many different books with different styles that I’ve learned that there are no requirements in writing. If your writing is good, go with it. It’s pretty open."

Fun facts about Sarah


  • I broke my arm in 3rd grade on the monkey bars.I fell off the monkey bars and landed, but didn’t know it was broken-it hurt, so i went inside. I was writing and it wasn’t that bad. I was tough. My class went to the gym and we were playing basketball. I told my teacher “hey, I don’t think I can do this. My write hurts a lot.” She told me I was just complaining because I wasn’t crying. She was annoyed, so she brought me up to demonstrate. I went to dribble the ball and I immediately screamed and broke down into tears. We went to the hospital and I came in the next day with a cast. the teacher looked so ashamed. To this day. I’m smug.
  • I still occasionally sleep with my baby blanket.
  • I get really hot really quickly.
  • I have a sister who is completely opposite of me, academics-wise. She likes math and science, I like English and history.
  • I once got into AP music theory accidentally. I was going to switch out until the teacher told me that I had to switch out and it was too hard for me- so, out of pure spite, I got an A.
  • I have my ears pierced, but I never wear earrings.
  • I’ve read the Harry Potter books three times.
  • I’ve never forgotten to do a homework assignment.
  • At one point, I simultaneously played on 3 soccer teams.
  • I won third in states for my NHD project
  • I’m in 5 honor societies.
  • I have a ton of shoes, but I only ever wear two pairs.
  • I once wrote an entire novel in a month.
  • I’ve eaten ox tail.
  • I once read six books in two days.
  • I’ve lived in seven places: Texas, Maryland, Germany, Kansas, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia (and briefly in South Carolina).
  • I never wear makeup
  • My favorite kind of dog is a Boxer
  • I have a dog named ginger
  • My great uncle is in the Boxing Hall of Fame
  • I’m a third generation American
  • I hate politics with a passion.
  • I never cry at the movies: I only cry at reunion videos and once during Marley and Me.


4 comments:

  1. I might be a bit biased, but I LOVE this blog!! I especially enjoyed the information you added about this person, besides just the obvious writing tidbits. This really was a profile, not just an interview. To make it even better, you could also add more pictures; for example, what about some embarrassing childhood photos or baby pictures?
    -Sarah Woods

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love what you wrote about Sarah (one of my very very good friends) and it's really fun to read about her from someone else's perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, I honestly love this blog. The way you broke up everything you wrote into different sections made it much more fun, and easy to read. I'm also IN LOVE with the questions you asked! The fact that your blog isn't just about writing gives it more depth and makes it ten times as interesting.

    -Hayley Bray

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Reads Sarah's interesting facts*
    *watches my college opportunities flush down the drain*
    Not really, but seriously this was really impressive for both you. First off, way to go Sarah! Reading and excelling academically. Participating in about 5 honor societies and still getting AMAZING grades in hard classes! Yup, I can't apply to any of the same colleges as you.
    Secondly, Alex. This was a ton of fun to read because it showcased both of your personalities so well while still keeping in line with writing.

    ReplyDelete