Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Road to Success Joseph Price


Writing Is Like a Long Car Ride
Beginning
The pen hits the paper much like the wheels of a car hit the road. With writing, the first thing that needs to occur in the writing process is brainstorming. Brainstorming is a lot like the packing portion of a long car ride in a sense because, I am getting ready for the long voyage.I need to take the necessities: socks, underwear, pants, shirts, and toiletries. These are a lot like the necessities for writing: introduction, body paragraphs, commentary, conclusion, and a main point. As I start to cram everything into the suitcase, I come to the dreaded question: what is not going to fit? I take out all of the unnecessities and am left with everything that I will need to live the best for any length of time. Packing and deciding what not to take is a lot like the revision stage of the rough draft because I make the decision to add things or remove any things that are unrelated to the topic. Removing these unneeded things is essential to figure out what supports the argument the most and what does not. As the car starts to be loaded up and filled to the brim with excitement, the dreaded second draft ensues.

Midde


After the revision stage of the rough draft, next comes the second draft. This portion of the writing process is a lot like the actual car ride because it is long and painful. I am just sitting there staring out the window, waiting for the destination to come sooner. During this time it is extremely easy to become bored, these are the top 50 things I do when I’m bored https://www.wattpad.com/5310867-50-things-to-do-when-you%27re-bored. When writing the second draft, it is not difficult, but it is just tedious, time consuming, and boring. Due to this long process, I recommend to take little breaks and stretch and think about your thoughts throughout this process. This is a lot like stopping at a rest area for a chance to stretch out the legs and once I am all loosened up I get back in the car and am ready for the next portion of the voyage.
End
As I get closer and closer to the end of the paper, usually I am extremely excited and confident in my writing, but there are also times where I need to rethink an entire paper or blog assignment for example. This is much like time during the car ride where the destination is extremely close and will not be much longer. The tail end may be sore from sitting, but it will soon be soothed with the victory of arriving at the destination. As I step out of the vehicle I am met with the success at successfully arriving at my destination with no major conflicts. Reaching the destination successfully is much like turning in the final draft of a paper; a sense of relief comes over my body as I binder clip everything into one big stack and hand it over. The late night revising was well worth the feeling that comes over me at that exact moment; I am free.


If you liked what you read or have any questions, email me at joseph.price99@yahoo.com



2 comments:

  1. The analogy of writing and driving really helped me understand the writing process. I especially liked the comparison between the rest stop and taking a break from writing. Rest stop are the best parts of road trips!
    -Jei-Ming

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Our blog topics are similar haha but it's really interesting how you took it in a different direction than mine. I like how you described the writing process step by step parallel to a long car ride. Both a long car ride and a long essay are hard to get through, but breaking it up into pieces like you described makes it a lot easier. Good job!

    ReplyDelete