Thursday, March 3, 2016

Not-So-Strange Strangers

Not-So-Strange Strangers

Don't let a writing assignment get you down! Visit the WSWC!
I remember my first experience with the West Springfield Writing Center (WSWC)….. It was freshmen year, my teacher was requiring me to go, and there was no getting out of it. I didn’t know where it was or how to get there, let alone what a tutoring session would be like. If you’re anything like me, your first visit to the Writing Center was probably a little daunting too. With a weird location and a bunch of tutors that I didn't know, the Writing Center made freshman me rather anxious. For some people this might be a good thing, like “Yay, I don’t know anyone at the Writing Center! They’ll read my paper and I’ll never have to talk to them again!” For me, and I’m sure for some of you, it was more like “Aaaah, I don’t know anyone at the Writing Center! New people are scary, especially when they’re going to judge my writing!” Recently I was wondering how we could help people who are nervous about sharing their writing with a stranger? My solution is to introduce you to some of the tutors you might see in the Writing Center. After that, the writing tutors still might seem strange, but at least they won’t be strangers!

So first on the list is me:
Name: Sarah F.
Grade: 11
My friends would describe me as: practically perfect in every way (Just kidding. I’m as much of a  train wreck as any junior who is taking 3 APs could be.)
Favorite time of day: 3:27 P.M. (Not A.M.)
Favorite word: indeed
So, if we’re going to talk about me, the first thing that you should know is that I am definitely not a people person. Some people might think that because I work as a tutor, I must enjoy being around and meeting new people. This is not the case. Now don’t get me wrong, I don’t necessarily hate new people either, but introducing yourself fifty times a day can get a bit exhausting. This just goes to show you that there are many different types of people working in the Writing Center and you’re bound to find someone that you can tolerate for at least one tutoring session. There is a tutor for everyone and being a part of the Writing Center has definitely shown me that a lot of different personalities can work together with the same interests in mind. So if you’re looking for a reserved, sarcastic, funny (or at least funny-looking), and realistic person to tutor you, seek out the frazzled chick, most likely sitting in the corner of the room,  working on something quietly.
(That’s me!)


Name: Sarah W.
Grade: 11
Personal Quote: “Hey Mom, can I buy this book?”…(twelve hours later)… “I just finished this book last night and I’m dead inside.”
What she does in her free time: Soccer, soccer, soccer, books, homework, soccer, more books, and soccer
Random Fact (Her feelings towards starfish): She was way too excited about answering this one. She said, “I absolutely love starfish. They’re adorable and pointy and colorful and I loved that one in Finding Nemo!”

Sarah is probably one of the friendliest people I know. She’s super approachable and has a really up-beat and energetic attitude. As a library volunteer and an avid reader, she is what I’d call your “stereotypical writing tutor”, especially since she loves writing and the little free time she has is spent reading. Sarah’s favorite genre is fiction and she’s a brilliant fiction writer, saying that she enjoys the freedom it provides, and “being able to take a step back when you’re done and go ‘wow, look what I made!’” Sarah is really easy to make laugh and is just super fun to be around. If you have a fiction or non-fiction paper that you need tutored, Sarah would able to give you tons of awesome ideas! Her favorite thing about being a tutor is expanding her love and knowledge of writing and one of the best ways to do that is if you get the chance to read other people's reading and see their perspective and style. If you want to share your ideas or just bounce some off of wonderful creative writer, look for a girl with short hair and glasses who is probably wearing a soccer t-shirt.

Name: Alex(andra) A.
Grade: 11
Favorite subject: Physics (See! Not all tutors are writing obsessed)
Catchphrase: “If it fits, I sits!”

Alex is one spunky chick! She is super duper funny and really smart. As stated above, her favorite subject is physics which just goes to show you that not all writing tutors are total English geeks (although many are). Alex is a great example of how Writing Center tutors are a good resource for information that isn't necessarily English related. As your fellow students who have taken many of the classes that you might be currently taking, a tutor is a great person to run your work by to see if it suits the requirements for that particular class. Plus, peer tutors are not as scary as teachers and are often super friendly, which is another one of Alex's great qualities. She’s a great person to talk to and a ton of fun to be around, so if you’re looking for an interesting individual with a 
great knowledge of writing as well as other subjects, definitely talk to Alex.

Name: Zack K.
Grade: 12
Favorite type of music: Alternative Rock
What he does in his free time: write bad fanfiction about animes he knows nothing about
One of his many talents (there's so many to choose from): sleeping while standing up backstage in theatre
So what can I say about Zack? I'd say he's sort of the dark and mysterious type, kind of quiet, reserved, but pretty funny and very sarcastic if you ever get to talk to him. Zack is also a writing fanatic. Early on in his high school career, he considered the prospects of becoming an author, and therefore took almost every writing class that the school had to offer which is how he ended up in advanced composition (the Writing Center tutor class). It was one of the only writing electives he hadn't taken yet. I asked him what his favorite thing about working in the Writing Center was and he pointed out some of the job's best features: getting to pick your lunch period and having free access to the candy bowl. He also told me about a competition he has with some of his friends which is to see who can write the worst fanfiction story. This brings up a great point for any aspiring author who wants to be tutored for a piece that isn's related to school. Writing Center tutors are up to tutoring anything and are great sources for some friendly feedback, so if anyone has any fanfiction that they want edited, Zack could give you some great pointers! Overall, if you want a reserved 
and knowledgeable tutor with a secret wicked sense of humor, you should visit Zack.

So now that you've gotten to know a chunk of our crew, it's our turn to get to know you! Please come visit us in the West Springfield Writing Center on any Wednesday after school, during any Spartan Time, or during all lunches on Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. Don't forget that this is only a small portion of our wonderful bunch of tutors and there are so many other great people to meet and get to know! (I promise most of them don't bite...hard) 

If you have any question about the Writing Center or more suggestions for further introducing students to the Writing Center, feel free to email me at sarahsblog1234@gmail.com!

5 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable to read, especially my own profile. Although, it did focus more on the fanfiction comment than I had anticipated. Well written regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha this is funny :) And you have the descriptions on point. We really are just a group of weird children who happen to be good at writing and tutoring.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so entertaining! The descriptions well tailored to each person to make everyone seem unique even if two people had similar characteristics. I especially enjoyed the little sections above the description paragraph that added a little personal touch to each one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really liked this! It kept me very interested the profiles on people was amusing as well

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is a great example of the kind of tutor profiles we should have on our website eventually!

    ReplyDelete