Friday, May 13, 2011

All I need now is a title for this post...I GOT A TEXT.

Okay. I admit it; it’s Thursday night, and I’m just starting my blog. Sure, like any other high school student, I’ve fallen victim to procrastination. Yet, at this time of year, something else is happening. Changes are happening. No, they’re not the kind of changes that require those Me and My Body videos that teachers so awkwardly forced us to watch in elementary school. However, these changes do occur when you happen to hit a certain age, specifically Senior year. Yeah, you know what I’m talking about now. It’s the dreaded Senioritis.

You know a term is legitimate when it’s defined in Wikipedia. (Go ahead. Check.) However, “term” may not be a strong enough of a word to be assigned to this experience. Senioritis is a disease. It spreads throughout your body and consumes it, while simultaneously paralyzing your mind. (Frankly, this seems like a perfectly acceptable excuse for Seniors who do not have their homework on time.) Take me, for example. Normally, I’m a very academically oriented student, and I take pride in my work. Yet, at the moment, I’m failing AP Government and World Religions, while also having an “Incomplete” in AP Literature. In my defense, I have been afflicted with a persistent sinus infection, which led to me being absent for an entire week. Once I make up my work, I will be back to grades higher than ‘F’s. Sadly, it’s not as easy as it seems. Due to my serious case of Senioritis, my papers and I have had multiple staring contests, all of which I have lost on account of being distracted either by a text, or the temptation of surfing the Internet. (Curse you, YouTube!) 
                         
The recovery from Senioritis is long and arduous. It requires patience and determination, and while yes, I have been determined to catch up on my missed episodes of the ever so entertaining 16 and Pregnant, I am also determined to graduate. College is just around the corner, and I’d rather not receive a, “We’re sorry, but we changed our minds” letter from William & Mary.
                         
So, there you go. If you want to conquer Senioritis, think about how you don’t want your future to be living in a box. (My friend and I have been stuck in a box before. Trust me; it’s not fun.) With that said, I am quickly approaching 400 words, and am now celebrating my hard-earned victory over the aforementioned disease. For the next few days, all I have to do is study for an Islam test, shoot a photography assignment, create a World Religions visual, start on my PowerPoint for Capstone…

…Eh.

If you want to e-mail me, click here. I'll respond. Eventually.

6 comments:

  1. Hahahaha oh man....how I can relate so easily. Basically all my classes are APs, so Adv Comp is pretty much my only class left with homework and even though all the assignments are pretty easy and spread out, they are the bane of my existence at the moment.
    Sigh...the internet is my biggest source of procrastination as well. So many blogs to read! So much music to listen to! Ahhhhh.

    - Mai-Vi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your feelings completely! I did not really understand how serious senioritis was until the 3rd quarter of this year. Now almost every single day, I spend hours doing nothing. I will literally choose to do EVERYTHING but my homework, and I have even found myself cleaning my room instead of working on an assignment.

    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was so proud of myself for avoiding Senioritus until last week. I finally decided that I could care less about certain classes because we've stopped learning. It seems like the closer I get to Graduation, the more coloring projects and Movie Days we have! I don't know why teachers are forcing me to come to class to watch stupid movies and color in between the lines when I could be at home sleeping. I'm still doing my homework, but I have to motivate and prep myself for two hours before I can start. Graduation couldn't come sooner!

    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can copmletely relate to senioritus...and i'm a sophomore. Bad, right? At least you have an excuse! I didn't finish my AP World exam study guide until the day AFTER the test because it wasn't due till the following week. Oh well. Think of it this way...in a month you'll never have to come back here again if you don't want to (:

    -Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm completely with you on this Lizzie. Now that AP exams are over, I think I've just been lazing around when it comes to school (sorry Ms. Goransson!). It's not helping that all we're doing in history for example is coloring and playing with Legos.

    I guess I should be preparing for SOLs or something...haha.

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm already a hardcore procrastinator. Hopefully i'll be prepared for Senioritis.

    - John

    ReplyDelete