Sunday, May 15, 2011

When Hugs Become Awkward

Awkward hugs; we’ve all experienced them at one point or another. These hugs may be unwanted, misplaced, or even stiff yet; they may end up bringing people closer than one might have thought.
I, for one, have had my fair share of awkwardness and have noticed that many of my awkward hug experiences tend to occur at school. Why you may ask? Well, I have thought long and hard about this and have come to three plausible reasons why school is the root cause of awkward hugs.
For one, there is this thing students’ carry on their backs as they go from class to class. I believe it is commonly referred to as a backpack. As students walk down the halls, they spot their friends and walk toward each other. Now, none of this is awkward until…they go in for the hug itself. The two friends, usually a girl and a girl or a boy and a girl, open their arms wide, approach each other until they reach their intended distance, and finally wrap their hands around the other’s…backpack? The backpack causes for uncertainty because huggers are no longer hugging the person, but their backpack. The hug is no longer an intimate sign of appreciation or thanks, but becomes a symbol to students everywhere of what to avoid. When the hug is over, I have noticed that the two people do one of two things. They either look shyly away from each other, hoping to erase the moment from their memories or they look straight into each other’s eyes and burst out laughing. This second action is a healthy sign for the participants because they have demonstrated to others that awkward moments can lighten the atmosphere and be forgotten with a good-hearted laugh and a genuine smile.
The second type of uncomfortable hug is the uneven hug. This occurs when people are different heights, one being extremely tall and the other being exceptionally short. When the two huggers approach each another, the awkwardness begins. For the time being, the tall person will be the guy and the short person will be the girl. If the roles are reversed, the situation may become more awkward for obvious reasons. Now, the tall person debates if he should bend down to hug the other. If he chooses to bend down too late, their arms might become twisted and oddly intertwined. However, if he chooses to stand at normal height, he may find himself patting the person’s head or hugging her with one arm to avoid making the height different more noticeable. The shorter person finds this situation awkward because she cannot reach the shoulders of the other. So, she becomes stuck hugging his waist and may start to feel crushed and a tad big claustrophobic. If, for some reason, the male has chosen to disregard the shower beforehand, the girl may become disgusted and may choose to avoid him at future encounters at school.  While this situation does not occur very often, when it does, the only thing to do is hope that the huggers smell clean and that the decision to bend down has been made in advance. With such measures, the moment should hopefully be awkward-free, allowing others to be optimistic about height differences and hugs.
The third and final awkward hug is the all-too-detested hug from behind. This occurs when a friend (let’s call him Bob) approaches another friend (let’s call her Sally) from behind. As Bob sees Sally, he realizes that her back is facing him and he will be unable to hug her from the normal position because she is surrounded by a group of her friends. Bob’s conclusion: it is necessary for me to give Sally a hug, so I might as well do it from behind. If Bob’s conclusion sounds like something you would do, PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE refrain from acting upon it! Hugs from behind are awkward for both parties involved. If Bob decides to act on his impulse, Sally will feel uncomfortable because, for one, she did not even see the hug coming. How would you feel if all of a sudden you see two arms grabbing you from behind? Weird? Embarrassed?  If you answered yes to both, then good for you because that is exactly how Sally feels. Sally also feels odd in this situation because she doesn’t know if she should turn around and face Bob in order to return the hug. If she doesn’t turn around, she will be hugging him like she is tied to a pole, but if she does turn around, what will he do with his hands? If Sally rotates, Bob will have to disengage in the hug, only to re-engage two seconds later. This causes the timing of the hug to be off, making the two participants unsure of when to stop their hugging. While the back-hug is occurring, Bob may finally realize that his decision to hug Sally was not one of his finest moments. But it will be too late; he has already engaged in the hug. Bob must continue his back hug with Sally and they must face the awkwardness together.
While the first two hugs can be performed correctly if the participants fully understand the situation, the hug from behind can and will never be executed properly because it is just too awkward. Therefore, in order to avoid the most awkward hug of all hugs, please refrain from participating in this type of embrace, it just might save your reputation.
For my next blog, I will discuss handshakes.
If you want to see more awkward hugs visit:http://theoatmeal.com/comics/hugs
or you can email me at: nicole.lipka

12 comments:

  1. Another awkward hug:
    The side hug. When a guy and a girl who don't feel completely comfortable with each other hug it out from the side. The backpack comes in there again, because it usually causes you to strain you muscles to reach the person's neck. I completely agree with this assessment. Hugs at school are both awkward, and overused. I think that's what makes them most awkward. They aren't a sign of affection anymore, but a handshake to be given out to each person they come in contact with. The only problem is-- I don't want to wrap my arms around everyone's bodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh by the way, that comment was me, Emily.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post made me so much more aware about the many types of hugging that occur in the halls of West Springfield. I had never really thought about why school hugs always seem so awkward, but adding backpacks to the equation makes so much more sense! Thanks for enlightening me on this topic!

    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't particularly like being hugged, so I hate the sneak-attack hugs. Those are the kind when a person just randomly runs up to you and gives you a hug. I love my friends, but that doesn't mean I want to be hugged 24/7.
    I used the word "hug" a lot in this comment.

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hahahaha, this was GREAT, Nicole. I could just picture every single scenario happening in our old school with the blue lockers in the background. I especially liked this sentence: "If, for some reason, the male has chosen to disregard the shower beforehand, the girl may become disgusted and may choose to avoid him at future encounters at school."

    However, I may be the unpopular opinion here because I kind of like hugs from behind sometimes. As long as it's someone who I wouldn't mind hugging and the person's not shorter than me, then I take the hug with open arms! (Ha, oh the irony). This may just be the sappy side of me, but I especially think it's cute when guys hug you from behind around your waist. Oh, that reminds that I do NOT like hugs from behind when the person puts their arms around my neck and I feel like they're choking me.

    - Mai-Vi

    ReplyDelete
  6. Situation 2 actually caused a mishap for me last year. My coordination's terrible enough that balancing is bad already. Throw in the added weight and troublesome positioning caused by two backpacks, and you get me and a friend collapsed onto the floor outside of our very classroom with a bunch of students and some teachers staring. Talk about a great way to celebrate finishing finals, not to mention awkward.

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can see Kevin flailing and then collapsing to the floor in a jumble of backpacks.

    Awkward hugs aren't as bad as awkward silences, though. You can sort of cover up a bad hug with a bit of conversation, but you can't exactly end a long silence with a surprise hug.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What happens when the awkard hug is combined with an awkward silence? Like, for instance, if someone hugs you and you don't like them and/or don't wish to be hugged. What do you say? How do you disengage? *shudder*

    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  9. The real question is: how does one prevent an awkward hug they can see coming a mile away? I find that often I can predict the awkward hug, yet it is only awkward for me, because the other person doesn't understand that it is indeed awkward and continues to approach with hug in mind. This leaves me to attempt to respond as nonchalantly and normally as humanly possible, which I find is always rather unsuccessful :/

    - Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  10. The violent hugs have not been mentioned! The ones where you go in for a hug and the other person comes back way to strong. And you end up with a bloody lip. AWK.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE HUGGING THOUGH! It's just a shame that most of my friends don't, and so the only time we hug is if we haven't seen each other in a long time (by that, I mean weeks/months, not the stereotypical "Aaaaaa I haven't seen you in five seconds" 'hug.'
    Consequently, I seldom get hugs, so these situations are nonexistent for me.

    Ben

    ReplyDelete