Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Procrastination.

Yea. We all do it. We can't help it. But why?

                        

       We've all been in this ladies position. She's left all that work till the last minute, and is overwhelmed. She feels as though there is no way that she'll ever be able to finish this crazy amount of work.  Pretty soon she'll be beating herself over the head with a rolling pin wondering what point there is to life. Oh well.
      Yet the sad truth is that there is no real cure for procrastination. It's a disease which has plagued the human race since our beginning. Obviously, it is the sole reason we have taken so long to evolve. I mean really, hundreds of millions of years is stretching it a bit. Cavemen were simply having too much fun clubbing eachother and lighting stuff on fire to want to do anything else. Who can blame them? That doesn't sound like too bad a life.



     Look at this dude. He's happy as can be. Why would he want to waste time "evolving" into the modern day human being which is forced to deal with such atrocities as soggy cereal, paper cuts, and carpal tunnel syndrome. That's no fun.  He'd rather just chill with his buddies making unintelligible grunting noises.
     Sadly though, our caveman friend will look procrastination in the face and confront it. He will throw away his club, stop grunting like an idiot, and set to the task of evolving. After a few bajillion years, he's done it. Behold, the homo sapiens:


     Well, one can't really be sure that caveman did a great job at the whole evolving thing, but at least he gave it a shot. Yet one is forced back to the question; why do people procrastinate.
      Some would make the case that it's because we are all inherently lazy. While that may have some validity to it, it can't be prescribed as the reason for procrastination. When I'm procrastinating, I've been known to walk the dog, do the dishes, or even clean my room. These are not the tasks of a lazy person. In that case, Those are simply the lesser of two evils.
      Psychologists would say something along the lines of "It stems from one's innate incapabilities to confront his inner self and..." Blah blah blah. That's a load of baloney as well.
      Here's my official diagnosis. Procrastination happens because...We don't like to do stuff! Yep. That's it. If I don't like doing my homework, I will procrastinate, and eat a bagel.  If I liked doing my homework, it would already be done, and I wouldn't be sitting here right now typing away.
     In that light, procrastination is really quite simple. The analogies are infinite.
-If I don't like eating tomatoes, I will not walk into the kitchen and shove a tomato in my mouth.
-If I don't like standing on my head, I will not torture myself in that manner.
Which brings us back to....
If I don't want to do something, I will avoid doing it at all costs.
Procrastination.
      Now that that's been determined, It's clear that nothing can be done about procrastination. You can't make someone like something that they don't already like. Sometimes, that happens on its own. But you can't make it happen. If someone goes to bed not liking bananas, you can't force him to like bananas when he wakes up in the morning. Most likely, he will hate them even more, and you as well. So, unfortunately, we are stuck with procrastination till the end of time.


For any questions, please email me at john.wilder@studentmail.fcps.edu

6 comments:

  1. Oh yea, and here's a link to a website that will better help you understand our caveman buddies;

    http://www.matrixbookstore.biz/cavemen.htm

    If you have any questions, please email me at john.wilder@studentmail.fcps.edu

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, please include the link and email in the text of your blog, by using the blog's link/email feature.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is pretty much the story of my life (and I daresay pretty much everyone's), except maybe minus the rolling pin. Everything essential to moving on up in life just seems so...uninteresting, don't you think? Ahh work.

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the rolling pin. Not exactly the best way to go, but it definitely provides a vivid mental image.

    Well done sir.

    - Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can definitely relate to this! Some of my friends go home, do their homework right away, and do their projects weeks before the due date. Although they are my friends, I am not peer pressured to do the same. Instead, I simply relax for a while, fully understanding that my work load will pile up in the long run. I think you are spot on when you say people procrastinate because they just don't want to do things. I mean,that's why I do it!

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your images, John! I've heard the argument that procrastination is sometimes a defense mechanism people use when they're not feeling confident in the task at hand. That way, when it's not as good as it should be, they can use the excuse, "Well, I did it all in one hour half asleep and with my eyes blindfolded" -- much easier to swallow than, "I'm just not good at this."

    But I don't really like that theory, since I often procrastinate myself :)

    ReplyDelete