Saturday, May 7, 2011

Vintage

Vintage is such a fad. In this case, I'm referring to vintage fashion, which now seems to be worn and displayed regularly by young girls (specifically speaking, high school girls). Now, perhaps this is intentional, but I am not one to follow fads, or at least that's what I tell myself. I don't like pop culture: I don't watch the TV shows, I don't listen to the music, and I certainly don't wear the clothes. Until now.

The worst part about vintage is that I actually like it. The flowery designs, the lacy details, the cute buttons and bags to go with it all... the style is very hard to dislike. It is, in two words, casually elegant. Here are some examples:

This is what I consider vintage, anyways. Honestly, I'm not a fashion expert of any sort, so this style might not be considered vintage by anyone else but me. Actually, now I'm curious. What is the definition of vintage?
Ahh. Here it is according to Dictionary.com Apparently it has nothing to do with my perception of vintage. Perhaps vintage can be likened to retro, which is defined quite the same when referring to clothing.
I'll call my perceived style modern vintage.

Anyways, about modern vintage. Even though I think it's cute, and even though I wear "mod vintage" (my new abbreviation for modern vintage, which is my own take on vintage clothing), I still do not like it, simply because it is a fad. This really makes no sense, because I really don't have a reason for disliking it besides the fact that so many people wear it. Perhaps I dislike it because it's mass produced. Stores like Forever 21 and others (but mostly Forever 21) are choked to death with an overstock of mod vintage clothing. By that I mean the stores are dead, unappealing, because they are not original.

Maybe that's the real reason why I don't like mod vintage, because stores force the style upon us and leave no room for creativity in our fashion. All the outfits made in those stores are made to be interesting. Again, this hardly makes sense, because clothes should be interesting, or else no one would want them. But I would prefer simpler styles that leave more room for personal interpretation. Maybe I should resort to sewing my own clothes.
Just kidding, of course, but I'm not just kidding about mod vintage. Perhaps the only reason I feel this way about fashion is because I'm a self-proclaimed cynic. Actually, I don't know what that words means in its entirety either. Here is the definition from dictionary.com for cynic. That seems about right.

This was not meant to criticize anyone who wears mod vintage. No indeed, for I wear mod vintage too, and like it. I am only critical of its components of unoriginality and abundance. But, like rap music, there is no way to stop this thing from continuing on, so there's really no reason to complain. I already took the time to complain in this entire blog post, though, and it's too late to take it back now, so I'll leave this post with my opinion well known. Enjoy my cynicicm. Or not, because there's no real reason to enjoy it.

My email is here.
--Bailey

No comments:

Post a Comment