Sunday, May 15, 2011

Things to Do in Washington D.C.

When in Washington D.C., do as the natives do. I’ve lived in the suburbs of D.C. my entire life, so I’m pretty familiar with the in’s and out’s out our nation’s capital.
            If you’re going to make the trek to Washington D.C. there are some major things to make sure you see and do.
1.      Cherry Blossom Festival: The festival is not just for tree huggers of the world. I love the festival! If you’re going to go, make sure you bring your camera and some money for the metro and lunch. You won’t want to miss out on getting your picture taken with the blossoms or the water in the background. If you position the camera just right, you can even get the Lincoln Memorial in the background. If you’re an animal lover or dog owner, the event is very pet friendly. Tons of people leash up their canines and take them downtown for a beautiful picnic. Another thing, don’t bother with buying lunch at a restaurant unless you want some really high end dining, instead pack some food in a cooler and enjoy a picnic in between the trees. Guys, this is an awesome and cheap date that your girl is sure to love!
2.      National Yoga Day at the Washington Memorial: If you’re big into yoga, or if you just want to learn some new positions, definitely attend the Yoga Day at the Washington Monument. My boyfriend and I were going to the Cherry Blossom Festival and stumbled upon masses of people that we assumed to be going to see the trees, but instead they set up camp all over the Washington Monument. It is one of the largest yoga gatherings in America, so you won’t want to miss out!
3.      Eastern Market: Although the building that housed the Eastern Market burned down in 2007, it is up and running again. I love shopping at Whole Foods, so I love shopping at the Eastern Market because it’s basically the mother ship of all food, flower, and craft stores. The prices are a little high for some items, but I feel like the experience makes the extra few dollars worth it. In the midst of the Capitol Hill and the fast paced life of D.C. life, it’s nice to step inside the newly redone building on the Eastern Market.
4.      Smithsonian Museums: I’m sure some of the Smithsonian Museum’s are on your list for places to visit while in town. My personal favorite is the Natural History Museum. It’s a girl’s must-see! Although usually really crowded, it’s definitely worth the wait to see the Hope Diamond. Don’t be fooled, though, there are so many different gems and pieces of jewelry to look at besides the Hope Diamond. For guys, there are plenty of dinosaurs and manly exhibits for you to wander in as your gals drool over what you can never afford to buy them

Enjoy Washington D.C., but don’t be too surprised when it takes you thirty minutes to go a meager few miles. Just be patient and try to take in the significance of the city. D.C. is where history is made, so try to be a little inspired!
If you want to reach me, I'd recommend you press here!!

7 comments:

  1. I have never heard of National Yoga Day! It is really sad that we live so close to D.C. and I am positive that I have no clue about 90% of the amazing things that go on throughout the year! Hopefully this summer I will be more inspired to take advantage of the many things D.C. has to offer!

    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Things to Do in Springfield, Virginia: Nothing.

    Seriously though. It's awesome that Washington D.C. is nearby, or else I might be tempted to stab my eye out with a fork from sheer boredom. (No, Administration, I'm not serious.)
    The Spy Museum is another cool place to visit. I've heard that the Holocaust Museum is very emotional, but an amazing experience.

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still faintly remember seeing a pedestrian or biker get knocked over by a frantic middle-aged female driving a minivan.

    It still sticks out in my mind. It's a big "WELCOME TO OUR NATION'S CAPITOL!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to agree with you there, Julie. Dinosaurs are indeed the awesomest and most manly exhibits in that entire museum. I am quite a fan of them. You girls can keep your shiny blue rocks.

    - Jacob

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loovveeeee going in to DC! I still have yet to visit Eastern Market which is a huge bummer, but one day. And here's something fun, but maybe not to safe... but we are teenagers, so dumb things are warranted... Going in to DC at night and finding interesting graffiti to take pictures next to:) Fun stuff. Just avoid the rats.
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Join free yoga classes every sat and sun from 7am to 9am, 8400 Durga place, Fairfax station, VA 22039, call: (804) 608-YOGA (9642), info@mukthi.com, Signup: MUKTHI.com: Group yoga practice will be very helpful and inspiring. It is very difficult to practice yoga asana, pranayama and meditation consistently on our own. At home many people can’t maintain a systematic regular practice in fixed time. A few yoga enthusiasts started this group in 2003. Since then, we have grown in numbers and each one of us has benefited tremendously.

    ReplyDelete