Saturday, May 14, 2011

Not Too Gaga for Gaga Anymore

You know when you’re talking about someone and your friend goes “Who’s that?” and then you start trying to think of those distinctive “identifiers” of that person? Like, “the girl who always wear cardigans” or “the guy who started the food fight”? Well, for probably a solid year, one of my “identifiers” was “the girl who is obsessed with Lady Gaga.”

It’s true. I was obsessed with Lady Gaga. Lady Gaga t-shirt? Check. Lady Gaga email list? Check. Lady Gaga ringtone? Check. Crying over my parents not buying Lady Gaga concert tickets (the first time around at least)? Check, check, and check. 

I’m a little embarrassed to disclose the fact that I did indeed cry (but I would not necessarily say “like a baby”, ahem) after my first failed attempt to ask my parents to buy me Lady Gaga tickets. I know I probably do sound like a spoiled brat right about now, but COME ON! Everyone has an obsession!! I know some of you would KILL (or maybe just cry like me) to meet your favorite Hogwarts student or go see your favorite musician perform, whoever that may be.

Now that I’m done defending myself from the evil, judging minds of my fellow Writing Center tutors (or maybe even other readers! If so, HELLO and please do tell me how you found our super popular blog!), I’m going to get back to the main point:

I was obsessed with Lady Gaga.

Please note the change in bold and italics from the word “obsessed” to the word “was.”

I know…you are just as shocked and sad as I am to be reading that sentence with the new change in emphasis.

The worst part is that this change in heart began very soon after I finally did attend her Monster Ball Tour concert at Verizon Center on Thursday, February 24th, 2011 at 8 PM. (Yes, I may not be obsessed with her anymore, but I do still remember that date like it’s my birthday. Except I don’t even know what day of the week I was born on…woops.) Not because of the concert, because the concert was AMAZING (yes, so amazing that it deserved to be bolded, italicized, underlined, and capitalized), but because of her new image and music.

She went from being a unique, innovative, creative, avant-garde, controversial, fun kind of crazy…:

…to just plain CRAZY:



Please refrain from saying “I told you so,” “I knew it all along,” or “Took you long enough.” This is the unfortunate transformation of Lady Gaga from a talented, fresh artist who could make pop/dance music and actually could sing, write songs, and play an instrument, while standing up for real problems in the world and being totally out there just enough to get people talking but to also draw them in…to a gimmicky, overly analytical, egotistical, generic pop singer who tries MUCH too hard (as evidenced by the above photos) to stand out.

Gaga, you used to stand out for being DIFFERENT, but now you stand out for just being too WEIRD. But what’s worse than just your image going sour is that your music is too. Your music is what made people, like me, love you. People liked your music first, and then went along with whatever you wore or stood up for.

Mother Monster, I sincerely ask you to please refocus on your music (more of this and much less of this, please!). I’m sorry, but I just cannot stand the “Judas, Juda-ah-ah” part!! There are a million other components of your new songs and music videos that I could criticize, but that would take a series of blog posts (Hey! Not a bad idea….).

Lady Gaga: I may not be obsessed with you anymore, but I am still a loving Little Monster and have hope that this is just a bump in the road and you’ll come back and find yourself…and take my obsession back to me too. If you need help finding me, you can contact me here

9 comments:

  1. I'm so confused by this picture: http://www.realestateradiousa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/LADY-GAGA-EGG-main.jpg
    What is this?? Hahaha.

    And that's sad. I guess fame has a tendency to make people greedy for more of it and people who see themselves blown up everywhere and are always told how wonderful they are usually get a big head about it.
    It's one of the countless reasons why I would never want to be famous. Haha.

    --Bailey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahaha here's an article to explain that picture: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41565546/ns/today-entertainment/t/lady-gaga-arrives-grammys-giant-egg/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you. Before, Lady Gaga seemed effortlessly unique, but now she seems to overanalyze her entire outfit. Her outfits push the boundaries... if you don't know what I mean, check out her shoes she wore for American Idol. That is a family show, and she had the nerve to walk out in shoes made of adult toys. That's disgusting and crosses the line between weird and disrespectful. I'm done with you Lady Gaga!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I won't lie and say some of her songs aren't catchy. In fact, I find myself listening to them more often than I'd expect. (She doesn't exactly fit into my typical genres.) However, she's just plain creepy lately. She isn't new, unique, or innovative. She's just...weird. Plus, what's up with her new album cover? Isn't she part motorcycle or something? It looks like I could have done it on Photoshop.

    -Katie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, her new album cover is completely horrible!!! I hate it so much. There's no meaning or artistic creativity behind it. Ugh, all of this just saddens me immensely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sadly agree :( huge disappointment these days. Her old music was good. I never wanted to like her but I did cuz her music was really good. Summerboys... loved that song. haha. but anyways, now all her music focuses way to much on sexual preference and it's just too much. The subtle bisexual undertones in Poker Face were creative, but this new stuff is just too much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree! Nowadays, her music focuses way too much on sexual preference and it's just overwhelming! I also saw her on American Idol and was shocked by her shoes, but I'm sure that was exactly what she wanted for a reaction. While it is good to be creative and unique, there are also boundaries that should not be crossed.

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete