Wednesday, May 18, 2011

You Know You Like It

So I had previously planned to write about how amazing being a twin is, and how everyone else should envy me. But then I saw Bridesmaids on Friday and decided to change my topic.
Bridesmaids, starring Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph, had to be one of the funniest movies I'd ever seen. I'm not going to prattle on about the movie, though. I'm just saying, GO SEE IT. But, anywho, a scene at the end of the movie stood out to me and made me think about how other movies have used the same technique to make the movie better; A song and dance scene.
Now I know some of you (cough cough, Nicole) will probably roll your eyes at the idea of singing and dancing in a movie. "IT'S CORNY! SO DUMB! UNREALISTIC!" But you know you like it.
In great movies such as Shrek, 500 Days of Summer, and Ella Enchanted there are dance scenes either at the end, or throughout the movie that are memorable. However, none of these movies can be classified as musicals. They just happen to have musical sequences in them. So to all the people who hate on Rent or Hairspray or Chicago, let me ask you this? Don't lie.
How attractive was Gordon Levitt in 500 Days of Summer when he started dancing in the streets to Hall and Oat's, "You Make My Dreams Come True"? If I can answer that question, Pretty. Darn. Attractive.
But back to my point, dance sequences are loveable.
Watch the one at the end of Shrek. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUqP3xva__I 
You know you liked it.
Music brings a fun side out of any movie. And even if the movie is fun already, it adds on to the heaping pile of joy. Actors can't very easily fake good dancing, and its too funny to watch them dance badly. In Bridesmaids when Kristen Wiig and Maya Rudolph dance together, any insecurity I felt towards this movie to that point was vanished. It earned an A in my book, when maybe without that dance scene it might have earned an A-. Maybe even a B+!
Keep this in mind as you hate on movies where people hope to sweep you away with their musical ability. You pretend you don't, but you know you like it.
 If you deny this still, TELL ME. >: ( molly.everett@studentmail.fcps.edu

6 comments:

  1. Ahhhh, I've heard SO many good things about this movie!! Now that I know there's an awesome song/dance scene, I want to see it even more!

    Also, I'm glad you refrained from doing a complete review of the movie and instead focused on one outstanding scene. Sometimes I think it's a bit pretentious when people who are not real critics write reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE movies that end with song and dance scenes! They make you walk out of the theater with a smile on your face and can make even the worst movie better. :)

    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate reading reviews before i go to the movies. I don't want anyones opinion to taint mine. And thanks Mai-Vi, I try to steer clear of pretention.

    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog! haha
    I must admit that I do love when movies end with song and dance scenes! I especially like Shrek and Ella Enchanted because of such scenes, however, I am still not a big fan of musicals. I just don't like how tons of people can randomly start singing and dancing in unison because it doesn't really happen in everyday life and that annoys me.

    On the brighter side, this blog made me want to go see the movie!

    -Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  5. So I'm a boy and I've seen this movie...is that a problem? :0

    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  6. Molly, I couldn't agree more that dance breaks at the end of movies are a major plus. Probably my favorite is the one at the end of Slumdog Millionaire. It's actually a very depressing movie, but it ends in a dance-break, which my friends and I now joke that all depressing movies should do. (Example: dance break at the end of Schindler's List)

    -Ms. Goransson

    ReplyDelete