Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Serious Addiction

“Hi my name is Jessica and I’m addicted to television.” Hi Jessica!”

Sorry, I couldn’t help but start this blog off humorously. Truthfully, I’m being completely serious, and this is a very real thing to me.

 What is the definition of addiction? According to dictionary.com, an addiction is “the state of being enslaved to a habit or practice or to something that is psychologically or physically habit-forming, as narcotics, to such an extent that its cessation causes severe trauma”. Many people wouldn’t normally consider television to be an addiction, but in my mind there’s no doubt about it.

 Let me break this definition down piece by piece and apply it to television. It says “being enslaved to…something that is psychologically or physically habit forming”. A lot of people can sympathize with being a slave to the television (Not necessarily you. If that’s so, you should be grateful.), and know how hard of a habit it can be to break. In this age of multitasking I don’t feel comfortable just sitting down and eating a meal or snack, or doing something on the computer, I feel like I need to turn the TV on to keep my mind busy.

 The part of TV being an addiction that most people argue with is not that is can be psychologically habit forming, but that it can be physically habit forming as well. Now I’m not an expert, but I’ve read in a few places that when you watch TV, your nervous system slows down and your brain waves change. To me, these effects sound similar to those of depressant substances, and could cause a physical dependence on watching TV.

 The part of the definition of an addiction that I think doesn’t fit television is that “its cessation causes severe trauma”. While I do think you can start to crave TV and its calming effects, I don’t think that there is more than a psychological withdrawal when you decide to stop watching.

 It is hard to stop though. The TV sucks up such an enormous amount of your day that when you decide to turn it off, it can feel like there’s nothing else to do to fill your time. This problem is addressed in the blog Escape Your Television, where a guy writes about getting “sober” and turning off his TV.

 If you’ve ever struggled with this, or have any tips for me, feel free to email me.

-Jessica

5 comments:

  1. I definitely spent more time watching televisionm during my first 2 years of high school than I have during my junior and senior years! Now I am so much more busy and I always seem to have something going on, so I don't feel as much of a need to watch telivision. I think this is actually a really good preparation for next year, because I am sure I will have more exciting things to do than watch television when I am in college!!

    -Lindsay

    ReplyDelete
  2. The remote always seems to be conveniently just out of reach, right?

    --Marty

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd say this was a pretty big problem for me back in elementary school, since I had just so much free time to waste. Hours and hours went by with me just loafing around on a bed or couch watching cartoons.

    Thankfully, I had more things to do once I got into middle and high school, so television wasn't as consuming as it was before. Unfortunately though, now my time's eaten up by the very device I'm typing this on...

    -Kevin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't have an obsession with television. I hate series and not knowing what will happen next. That's probably why my favorite shows are Arthur and Survivor. There's always a happy ending, too. And each season finishes resolutely.

    I'm more of a movie person. I watch movies up the wazoo, and once I find one I like, I watch it over and over and over again. For example, Despicable Me. Best. Movie. Ever.

    Anyways, I definitely agree that it does not cause trauma. I can't imagine my life without a little time to veg out every once in a while. Nothing like sitting in front of a plastic box, with your mouth hanging open like a dog in unfeigned attention.

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never really been addicted to TV either. I mean there are shows I like watching, but the world isn't going to end if I miss an episode or two.
    Now take away my books and we'd have a serious problem on our hands.

    -Heidi

    ReplyDelete