Thursday, May 9, 2013

"I've Got a Dream" from Tangled

Watch this!!!


                I’ve got a dream. I’ve been obsessed with Japan since middle school and never felt like I had a real heritage until then. I was raised in a house of assorted cultures, so in an effort to find some sort of feeling of natural heritage, I tried my best to be as Korean as possible. I chose Korean because, from all the Korean dramas I had been watching, it seemed more like me than my European half, which is made up of way too many countries; acting 100% Korean instead of the “halfie” I actually was would be much simpler. I cut my hair and got a straight perm for my naturally wild and curly hair. I wore clothes that better fit slim, petite Korean girls. Honestly, I was a mess, and not a hot one.
                On a whim I decided to watch the Japanese drama Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge, the live-action version of the manga/anime The Wallflower, because it was ranked #1 on DramaCrazy.net at the time. I fell in love with Japan instantly. It felt like I fit in with the culture more than anywhere else. The funny thing was that my sister said I seemed to be more Japanese than Korean, though she was the one that was born in Okinawa. Specifically, she said I looked like a Japanese boy, which is a compliment because they tend to have very feminine faces, and if they’ve had plastic surgery, which many have, then they have PRETTY feminine faces. I felt at peace with myself. My dreams shifted in focus from Korea to Japan, and it felt amazing. I could stay true to myself while still pursuing a life goal.
                                    (from the first episode of Yamato Nadeshiko Shichi Henge)
               Change was difficult at first. My mom was against me having curly hair; my face is kind of chubby to say the least, and my mom said constantly that curly hair made it even chubbier. It took a lot of stubbornness on my part and some convincing from my sister to get my mom to stop nagging me about it. I think she regrets getting mad at me for it before. Now that I’ve let my hair grow out, she’s always complimenting me about how pretty it is. Now that I have my mother’s acceptance, I also have her support of my ultimate dream to teach English in Japan.
                Some might say that I’m just a wannabe Japanese girl, like the stereotypical American otaku, or as my friend Stine says, “someone who’s so obsessed with manga and anime that it is the only thing they talk about.” She compared it to a football player whose life revolves around his game. I admit I love manga and anime. I wish I could say that I’ve watched almost every anime and read almost every manga and honestly, the love of my life is an anime character (Ayasegawa Yumichika from Bleach). But I think, deep down, these parts of Japanese culture are a part of me now, just like Japanese rock bands. I hope someday I can say that I am truly Japanese at heart.
                                         (yes, the love of my life sparkles. Don't judge me)
                Les Brown once said, “Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.” My dream is specific so that even if I miss one or two details, I can still be happy with my life. I think everyone should have a dream like that, one that allows a person to be honest with himself. Having a goal to focus on and making decisions that will help someone reach that goal is, in my opinion, one of the most important things in life, besides all the cheesy “love” stuff. I hope someone, even if it’s just one person, will be inspired to dream and be happy with who they are and who they are meant to be.



Visit my blog, Love Writing, Writing Love.
Any questions? Email me.

No comments:

Post a Comment