Thursday, May 9, 2013

Test Taking: The Heart of Our Living Nightmares and Ways to Face Them

This is the sight we get to see for 1-3 hours when we face the arduous 
task of taking a test.


If you ask any junior or senior in High school what one thing they hate most about the final ventures towards heading to college, the most common answer would tests. Juniors and Seniors are faced with test after test after test and it just never seems to end.

This topic is being brought up because as the 2012-2013 school year is coming to a close, AP Exams are starting to take place. As most students know, AP Exams are college courses that require a large and taxing exam to be taken at the end of the year, and if a good enough score is reached than that student may be able to opt out of that specific class in the college they attend. So yeah, these exams are a big deal. However, at the same time, many students (Juniors mostly) are also taking their SAT's, ACT's, SAT Subject Tests, and any other application or test related requirements they may have. Overall, the end of the school year is filled with testing, testing, testing, and then some more testing. 

I personally have my AP Lang Exam coming up this week and an APUSH Exam next week, along with an SAT on June 1, and I haven't even signed up for any ACT or SAT Subjects Tests yet, so I still have those to look forward to. I am sure that other Juniors feel my pain when it comes to all the things we must do in the next couple months before senior year gets up and running. Some people may deal with test taking better than others, but for the most part they are incredibly stressful and lead to the factors we all know so well: lack of sleep, over eating (or under eating), and near mental breakdowns at the sheer thought of all the things needed to be done. 
This is the expression we are all familiar
with, the "Ugh, what is going on?" face.

During times like these, we all try to find ways to deal with the said stress and difficulty testing brings into our lives. Some people take unique methods of loosening their tensions, but there are some more conventional ways that do help the majority of people loosen the grasps of the stress from school. I will list things that I have found to help me, but other sources do say similar things such as the one here.
But nevertheless, here are 3 tips/ways I have found to be helpful in dealing with the absolute nightmare of test taking.

1. Talk to your teacher - I am always surprised at the sheer amount of people who let this idea blow over them. Your teachers are there to help you, so let them help you. If you feel seriously unprepared for an exam or test, then ask your teacher for some extra help to clear up any uncertainties you have, and who knows, you may even be able to get an extension. Your teachers are people too and can totally understand if you feel stressed out about something in their class, so don't feel ashamed to ask them about it.

2. Relax - This one seems redundant, but im serious when I say all you need to do is stop freaking yourself out. You may be thinking, "Well, if I could do that then this wouldn't be a problem?", and you're right, it wouldn't be a problem, which is why you need to relax. If it's listening to music, watching your favorite show on Netflix, or playing some good ole' video games, whatever you need to do to take your mind off that dreaded test is what needs to be done. Over thinking and psyching yourself out about it can be the ultimate downfall for some people. 

3. Have confidence - This one may be hard because tests and school in general are so emotionally and mentally draining, but ultimately, having confidence when going into a test makes all the difference. If you think you are going to fail, then you're going to take the test knowing you're going to fail, a mindset which doesn't help out a whole lot. If you tell yourself, "I will beat that test", even if you may be totally unprepared, you will take it with a stronger mindset. And anyways, for the most part, the worst thing that could happen is you don't get a good score (and you can retake SAT's and ACT's as much as you want). Way too many people do not have enough faith in themselves to face these kinds of things. You are undoubtedly smart enough and don't let any person, test, or aspect of society tell you otherwise. Think it and you will do it. 

I hope these three points helped you make some sort of realization about something you need to change to help yourself with any upcoming tests or anything that you are worried about. Again, the website here probably compiles better tips, but these are the three things I have compiled through my own experiences to help myself through these trying times. 

If you have any tips of your own that you wish to aid in the benefit towards preserving other people's mental health, email me at jackdominick@gmail.com, or just leave a comment with anything you wish to say.

Thank you for reading and I wish you well on all your future endeavors,

-Jack


2 comments:

  1. The tips were really good. I always stress out a few weeks before, and then a few days before the exam my confidence hits rock bottom. Then, I stop caring about how well I do. I'm only taking one AP this year, but I really am stressing out about it. I also plan on taking more APs within the next two years, so I will definitely try to remember these tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some really good tips! I get a little test anxiety, especially if it's an AP test that can exempt you from a college course. And after I take the test, I keep low expectations and high hopes so that I'm not disappointed by how I do. But it's definitely important to have confidence going in.

    ReplyDelete