Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Mother's Day: Then and Now


We are now in the second week of May, which means one of the most heavily commercialized holidays of the year is coming up – Mother’s Day.  As a kid, I loved this time of the year.  After a whole month of gloomy April showers – along with muddy puddles and heaps of crawling worms on the asphalt – May emerged, carrying a colorful array of flowers with it.  In addition to the warm rays of sunshine, the activities we did in school in preparation for Mother’s Day also brightened my days.  I remember making handmade gifts, one after another.  First was the foam picture frame, decorated with messily glued sequins and glitter.  Then it was a wooden-stick pin, which I tried making into a mini version of my mom, complete with a set of googly eyes and markered-in clothing.  And who could forget all of those painted and glazed clay bowls from years of elementary school art classes?  Nonetheless, my favorite activity was making cards.  On every Mother’s Day, I loved watching my mom’s eyes crinkle as she smiled, reading my childish scribbles in between stick-figure, flower, and rainbow drawings.  It was the best feeling in the world.

But throughout the years, I've come to the realization that Mother’s Day, or more specifically the concept of it, doesn't really make sense to me.  Beginning with the one in 1908, every Mother’s Day observance has been an effort to recognize the role of mothers and maternal figures.  Today, the celebration has become a day of appreciating these motherly figures with gifts, such as cards, flowers, and candy (which all can be picked up at a local Hallmark or grocery store).  Often times, many people spend their second Sunday of May at a restaurant for a meal with their mothers.  I’m not saying that these modern customs, so to speak, aren't pleasant – because they are.  I guess I just feel that the essence of the holiday has been lost.  Maybe it has something to do with not spending the time making heartfelt hand-crafted gifts each year, but I think it also has something to do with commercialization.  Countless businesses have made huge bucks off of this single holiday throughout the past years, capitalizing on it as a source of revenue.  Even Anna Jarvis, the woman who arranged that very first celebration in 1908, believed that Mother's Day was being abused, and protested the commercialization of the holiday in the mid-1950s.
    
Mommy and me 
More importantly, I think the idea of openly expressing appreciation to mothers on a single day each year has led to misconceptions regarding a child and mother’s relationship.  I think this annual celebration allows people to generally believe that it's okay to show their love to maternal figures in their lives for one day, and that it's okay to not show their love for the other 364 days.  Ultimately, an annual holiday shouldn't be perceived as an obligation to show love.

It's funny how perspectives can change over time.  One of the holidays I used to always look forward to now seems trivial.  But I hope that I can internalize the adoration I expressed when I was younger and make everyday a Mother's Day.

If you have any thoughts or comments about Mother's Day, feel free to e-mail me.

                                                     

8 comments:

  1. I remember doing all those arts and crafts, and having my mom put the clay bowls on the fridge and sticking the cards and pictures to the front of it. Now it's flowers and jewelry instead of those homemade gifts, and I agree that it should become more personalized, rather than the way it is now - commercialized.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. In my opinion, the holiday is pointless. You shouldn't show your love to your mother only 1 day out of the 365 days in the year. It's just a day where companies make money, like Giant, when everyone buys last minute flowers as a gift or restaurants.

    BTW- that is the cutest picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a cute and sweet post, I really liked it! The picture made it even better!! Cute little Jei-si. Also it was even more interesting because of the historical background you gave, it gave a little twist! I totally agree with the changing aspects though and I remember making silly handmade crafts for my mom too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you opened in a way that helped us remember the real meaning of Mothers Day in a way we can all relate to, and followed by highlighting the problems that now surround the holiday. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture of you and your mother is ADORABLE! I completely agree with the holiday being more about the holiday rather than the actual expression of love to your mother which should be given everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a Mother's Day tradition where I forget that it's Mother's Day and don't do anything to celebrate. I highly recommend you guys try it out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree with you. Mother's day should be less about the holiday and more about showing appreciation for everything our moms do for us. The picture is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find myself going through a similar internal struggle every year. I want to make my mother feel special, but would rather just appreciate her every day. There is this expectation of cards and flowers and presents which I think helps encourage children to give their mothers these things but think you I don't want that to excuse me from loving her every other day.

    ReplyDelete