Friday, May 10, 2013

School Lunches: Is This Even Food?

Everyone loves food. Food is a necessity in our lives yet it is also one of our greatest luxuries. Whether the food is a delicious piece of steak, or a simple bowl of cereal, we humans find almost all meals to be satisfying or tasty. The one exception being the high school cafeteria lunches. There are several reasons why I never buy the school lunches and always pack my own.

1. They taste terrible. I don't know about others who enjoy the cafeteria food, but I don't enjoy the taste of cold spaghetti or dried up French fries. I'd much rather eat a turkey sandwich that's made at home with ingredients that I know are fresh and actually taste good.
2. Nutrition is lacking. I know as a high school student, nutrition is not necessarily at the top of our priorities, so we don't care what we put in our mouths if it tastes good. Despite this, I try to eat somewhat healthy because I am physically active and the cafeteria lunches don't cut it. I understand they try to encourage healthier meals and improve nutrition through the small servings of carrots or fruit that they offer, but to me they look as unappetizing as the rest of the lunch. Most students don't even get the vegetables or fruit with their lunch, and even if they do, they are often thrown away without being touched. My own packed lunch provides the vegetables and fruits that I enjoy, giving me no reason to buy the cafeteria lunches at any cost.
3. They just don't fill me up. The portion size is just way too small for someone like me who enjoys eating a great amount food in one sitting and also because I play sports, I tend to eat more than the typical person. By packing my lunch at home, I can put in all the food I want. However, I understand that I could simply just buy more food from the cafeteria, but why would I want to buy the food in the first place.
4. This has to do with the lunch period itself, but the time that is given is way too short. Supposedly we have thirty minutes for lunch, according to the schedule, but the time it takes between classes and the cafeteria before and after lunch take up ten minutes, leaving us with only twenty minutes to eat. If you buy lunch, you also have to wait in line as well, taking up even more time of your precious time to eat and relax with friends. With a packed lunch, I can avoid those few minutes waiting in line that may seem insignificant, but they matter to me after having to sit through classes for three to four hours beforehand.

Overall I think the school lunches are just plain gross and I would never buy them at WSHS. Maybe they are miraculously delicious at other high schools, but not at this one. I didn't mean to offend any of you through this blog if some of you do not have a choice and have to eat the school lunch as I completely understand. But if you prefer a school lunch over a packed lunch, please get your taste buds checked. Just kidding, but seriously. These school lunches have got to change, but in the meantime I think I'll stick with my homemade turkey sandwich.

Check here if you want to learn more about the school lunches and the efforts to make it healthier.
If you have any concerns or just wish to prove to me why school lunches are amazing, email me at ahan67@gmail.com.
-Andrew




3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you 100%. I find myself still eating it sometimes just because I don't have enough time in the morning to pack my own lunch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am proud to say that I have never bought lunch from a school cafeteria. I pack my own lunch because the points that you talked about are totally true. School lunches just don't compare with a tasty meal from home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! The school lunches, even since elementary school, are just way too gross and unhealthy. The one thing I do like though is the snack line. The wraps are good and generally healthy and the cookies are made of pure, heavenly goodness.

    ReplyDelete