Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Around the World in 80 Days (Maham Siddiqui)


My mission: to travel around the world in 80 days.

I know it sounds cheesy but that is my life goal. There's just so much of the world to see and I want to be apart of it. Living in Northern Virginia really blocks me from the rest of the world and all I can think about is getting good grades or applying to colleges and so on. There is so much culture, music, and art that is surrounding us and I want to be apart of it all. I don't know when, but I will definitely travel around the world in 80 days no matter what it takes.


By traveling around the world, I don't mean visit every state in the US. I want to go to all different countries like England, France, Paris, Germany, Turkey, Greece, Egypt, Mali, Russia, Australia, Mexico, Brazil, China, Ireland, Saudi Arabia, Morocco... the list can go on and on. I know 80 days might not be enough to capture all the culture and learn but it will be such a thrill to know that you have a hundred more places to go. And of course, after my journey, I can always revisit places and stay longer.

The only thing that bothers me is that I feel like I’m running out of time. I’m not a super environment lover but it’s time to face the facts: we really are facing some serious problems in our environment. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to walk through a jungle without any trees or lay by the beach with polluted water. I just hope I’ll get the chance to see it all before it’s too late.

Now I only wish I could have a time machine. 
The places I would go, the people I’d meet, it’s hard to explain in words. I would spend years, decades, exploring the past and learning things that can’t be learned through textbooks. At the rate of how fast technology is growing right now, who knows? We might after all create some sort of time machine in the near future. I don’t know if it’s possible but I’ll keep hoping.

I really hope I would be the lucky one able to explore the world and experience all the different cultures surrounding us. I want to learn, not through books, but by seeing with my own two eyes.


You can always email me for any questions or comments :)








5 comments:

  1. I really like that you are interested in learning about the world around you through experience. Good luck in your future and thank you for sharing your hopes and dreams!
    -Brit

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love, love, love the pictures! It makes me want to jump into to the screen and really be a part of those locations. I would also love to travel someday in the near future. Maybe I can do that when I take part in study abroad in college. Nice job Maham!

    -Lehna Asongwe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely love traveling too - I wish I could do more!. I have only been outside of the United States once and I feel like there are so many places and things around the world that I will never be able to see. I just wish plane tickets weren't so expensive :). - Megan Beissner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to travel! But I never have the opportunity to go anywhere to exotic. The only foreign country I've been to is Canada!

    Sarah Schlichting

    ReplyDelete
  5. College is a wonderful time to take advantage of a study abroad program, guys. Depending on the country you go to, sometimes it is even cheaper than staying in the US! (I spent my semester abroad in Mexico.)

    ReplyDelete