Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Seeing Is Believing (Nick Milef)

There’s a saying that seeing is believing, or something along those lines. So when I saw Project Glass, I realized that smart-phone-like glasses could be a cool product. But that was before I thought about the impact of this cool gadget.


For those who don’t know, Project Glass is a project by Google that deals with the development of glasses that act like smart-phones. After seeing the video, I realized how much of an impact this could have. Imagine in the future contacts that can do the same things. Eager to learn more about it, I watched a few parody videos, and then I realized how impractical this is and why this would be bad for society.


Imagine the chaos these glasses could create. For example, if you ever need a GPS you can use the glasses to show you a map of where you need to drive. That sounds cool...until you get into an accident because you weren't watching the road. Or maybe you need to find a shoe store nearby. Well, the glasses will tell you where you can find one, but then a thousand advertisements pop up around the edges of the glasses. Or maybe you need to send someone an email, but you accidentally send it without realizing that the glasses recorded someone else's conversation in the background and sends it in an email. Or maybe...
And of course no one will know you have these glasses on since they are so stylish and don't have any big rectangular areas covering one of the lenses.
Forget about privacy. Any random stranger trying to make a fashion statement with these glasses could actually be browsing through someone's Facebook profile just by looking at him or her. It's not as if that's creepy or anything.
What about the whole camera idea? Wouldn't it be fun to take pictures whenever without the need to pull out a phone or a camera? It does sound fun, but there are some drawbacks to this too. Everything will be caught on film, so everyone will live under a Big Brother-like society. While this can help with law enforcement, I could see myself worrying over everything I say because all of that will have probably been recorded by at least one other person.


These glasses could act as entertainment for people not wearing them, though. Watching people walk into each other while they read their emails or check the weather would never get old. However, other consequences are much more dangerous. Therefore, I think that Google should just forget about Project Glass to ensure the safety of others.


Do you think that Project Glass is a good idea?


If you have any questions or comments about this blog post, feel free to email me.

5 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you! These would be a danger to our society. People already have enough distractions by texting while driving and looking at a GPS screen that is not right in their faces. In addition to the driving hazards, it would also lead to distracted social interactions as people are talking to their friends while simultaneously browsing the web.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What kind of confuses me about the glasses is how the heads-up display would work. I have trouble focusing on images that are one centimeter away from my eyes, so I feel like the idea of checking email on glasses is pretty far-fetched.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some people could definitely take this to the extreme. I think these glasses are probably more trouble than they are worth. How could you appreciate the world around you when you are too busy with checking email, GPS, etc? Plus, these glasses would probably cause severe headaches. - Megan Beissner

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like how in the video the guy's friend sort of ditches him after a few minutes. It's like, "Yeah, I'm going to hang out with someone who actually gives me more than 10% of their attention."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops! I mean "his or her attention." Bad Pronoun-antecedent agreement role model am I.

    ReplyDelete