Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Turtle Recall (Eleanor Lamb)

I have a soft spot for hard-shelled reptiles. In the platoon of pets I own, which
includes a dog, a cat, a guinea pig, two fish, and a Zebra Finch, my lowly tortoise is the
creature I find most endearing. He even beat out my beagle.
The need for a tortoise hit me hard one day when I realized that my family’s
collection, although nearing the size of a zoo, was missing a member. There was no
reptilian resident. After mentioning this pressing issue to my mother, I decided to do
some research.
Swiftly finishing my homework, I leapt to the computer, accidentally crunching
my little sister’s Polly Pocket set-up underfoot. My insatiable craving to learn more about
these fascinating creatures was much more important than her picnic would ever be.
Quickly scanning computer screen after computer screen, I learned as much as
possible about Russian tortoises. With the persistence of a small child obsessed with
getting what she wanted, I memorized the animal’s dietary patterns and habitation needs.
There was no way this slow-moving creature was escaping me.
            After much coaxing on my part and $200 worth of tortoise paraphernalia on hers,
my mom surprised me on my seventeenth birthday with a Russian tortoise. She named
him “Borja,” which she believed was an authentic title from that region. Little did she
know that “Borja” is actually the name of an old Spanish family, with no Russian
connection whatsoever. Worried that changing it would only confuse the beast, she
refused to capitulate.
Though he chomps his lettuce leisurely and crawls as slowly as a sloth, my life
with Borja has been anything but dull. Just a few weeks after receiving him, I
experienced a nippy power loss that chilled the entire community. While we humans
stayed warm by bundling up in layers of sweatshirts so thick that we were bulletproof,
my poor pet was in danger.
Though they come from a frigid region, Russian tortoises ironically thrive at a
temperature of 85 degrees. To accommodate our reptile, we keep a heat lamp and a heat
pad warming him day and night. But these toasty devices were rendered useless in the
merciless outage.
Panicking as I watched the thermometer in his tank drop to 60 degrees at night, I
knew I had to help. Thinking quickly, I wrapped Borja in my mom’s old college
sweatshirt, gingerly holding him next to me. The night passed more slowly than the
turtle moved, but we awoke to a bright day in which the lights were restored. This single,
perilous adventure with my tortoise oddly made me fonder of him than any other pet.
Despite his dawdling gait and sluggish posture, this scaly creature fully came out
of his shell, wriggling his way into my heart.
            If you have any exciting stories about pets, email me!

2 comments:

  1. Your turtle is adorable and, although I have never had a pet, I have always wanted a turtle! I loved your anecdote about your night together and your diction is amazing for describing the event.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am greeeeeen with envy. I would love to have a tortoise. :)

    ReplyDelete