Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Live from New York, it's SATURDAY NIGHT! (Lauren Sauer)



Since its premiere in 1975, NBC's Saturday Night (as the title was originally coined) has been entertaining audiences for a running total of thirty-seven seasons and has given birth to the careers of Adam Sandler, Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Sarah Silverman, Eddie Murphy, Chevy Chase, Maya Rudolph, Chris Farley, Mike Myers...need I go on? Even in a world where Glee and The Voice run rampid*, SNL remains as a glittering reminder that television isn't completely dead nowadays.

But why? WHY does this late-night troupe of liberal goofballs remain to be so successful? Is it the hosts they pick? Is it Kristen Wiig's talent? Is it the sex appeal Seth Meyers exudes from the Weekend Update desk? Perhaps.


No but really, unpopular opinion time: he's hot.


Perhaps the magic behind SNL is the "L": it's LIVE, anything could happen! Even if the show is an absolute train wreck, audiences can't turn the channel, due to the promise and excitement in-the-moment television brings. People love seeing any performance in its most raw, vulnerable state, whether they realize it or not, because it connects the actors on screen or stage to the viewers. Even when the actors are breaking and the scene is falling apart, it's still so endearing that the audience can't turn the channel. Take for example this gem of a clip from a few years ago: "Debbie Downer", a personal favorite of mine.

For me, Saturday Night Live is important because it's taught me so much as I grow and develop. As a sixteen-year-old, my thoughts and opinions are completely different than they were when I was fourteen, and the opinions I'll have when I'm in my twenties will be completely different than they are now. Navigating this ever-changing time in my life has been aided by SNL because the writers and cast members have provided for me a place to explore my ideas. Maybe it helps that they lean to left politically, just like I do, and that the jokes always dance on the border of satire without crossing over into wildly inappropriate territory, which I appreciate, but overall I just think part of me really resonates with the happenings over there at 30 Rockefeller Plaza. While I've been growing up, even when I was too young to watch and would sneak downstairs after my parents had fallen asleep with the TV on, Saturday Night Live has taught to redefine my own sense of humor, to question everything, and to make informed, smart decisions while still being able to laugh along the way. Maybe I'm biased, but let's just say I'm proud to be navigating my high school years with the help of Lorne Michaels, instead of Snooki Polizzi or any of those Real Housewives.

Anyway, I guess if you take anything from my messy and scattered thoughts, let it be this: SNL is funny, smart, and liberal and I like it. Seth Meyers is attractive and I like him. SNL>Glee.

If any of you have any thoughts on live television or how media can help (or hinder) growth and development, please feel free to email me.

Until then, LIVE FROM MY BEDROOM, IT'S WEDNESDAY NIGHT.
...that's just not as catchy

Lauren Sauer


*No offense, "Gleeks", but it's just not my thing. I hope we can still be friends.

5 comments:

  1. Love the review! This makes me really want to watch SNL!- Maham Siddiqui

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I don't really watch SNL that often, the times I have watched it have been hilarious and I can definitely see where you're coming from! The fact that it's live makes me respect the actors that much more because I know it takes a lot of talent and commitment to pull that off!
    -Sara Carter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your analysis about the popularity of the show. It's very true though, the more vulnerable, the more exciting! And your opinion on Seth Meyers isn't that unpopular; he is nice to look at, and his humor only makes him more attractive! - Mary Claire Ragan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that SNL can actual be informative while also being funny. Also, "Debbie Downer" is one of my favorite SNL skits. The music that plays in the background makes it even funnier! In general, I can see what you're talking about in your great analysis of the show. - Nick Milef

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a fellow SNL fan, I couldn't agree more that SNL is a good show to grow up with. Unfortunately, when I was in high school it wasn't as good as it is now; Kristin Wiig (who I learned on Saturday is leaving the show) is my absolute favorite.

    ReplyDelete