Thursday, May 10, 2012

Toby by Sasha Thomasson


Toby is the love of my life. Since February 24th, the day he joined my family, he has brought nothing but joy and happiness. If it was normal to marry inanimate objects, I would marry Toby. I always take care of him; I constantly wash him to make sure his yellow color is gleaming and his windows are sparkling clean. Bird poop is the enemy. There has only been one incident where the enemy succeeded in blemishing my beautiful Toby with poop, but not to worry, I cleaned him immediately. I have come to the conclusion that birds are not attracted to yellow cars, because everyone else’s normal colored cars are constantly being 
spoiled with bird doo-doo, while Toby is not.

If you didn’t infer this already, Toby is a yellow punch buggy. He was a gift from my parents for my 16th birthday. I can’t legally drive him by myself for another 13 days. I am so excited; I have a countdown app on my phone that counts it down to the seconds! Driving Toby is so much fun. I utilize his small size; he can fit in any parking space. It’s miraculous. However, learning to drive Toby has not been the easiest task.  On occasion, I may accidently leave him on. It’s not that big of a deal though. It happens, right? After pulling into a spot, I put him in park. I fix my make up, finish jamming out to “Call Me Maybe” or whatever song is playing, hop out, and go on with my day. I haven’t yet added “taking out the keys” to the routine.  Thank goodness my parents still are legally obligated to ride with me, because they are always the ones that notice. I could leave Toby on all day without a second thought. Although, I must admit I have been getting better about remembering. Even with this progress, I have small setbacks. When I do turn off Toby, I sometimes forget to take the keys out and lock him. The thought of him being taken away from me breaks my heart, but for some reason I cannot remember to press that one simple button in order to protect him.  Furthermore, my mother and I concluded that I need a sticky note of reminders taped to the back of the sun visor.

  1. Put parking brake on
  2. Turn Toby off
  3. Take the keys out
  4. Lock the car
I have definitely improved on remembering some of the things 
on the list. 


Baby Steps.




I have always wondered how many bruises Toby has caused from the punch buggy game, “Yellow punch buggy no punch backs” or how many points he has given to competitors in the yellow car game. I claim that I have an infinite win in both games, because I own Toby.


If you have similar difficulties and want to vent, you can email me here

One blog that I really enjoy is http://www.dad-isms.com/. It puts things in perspective. 

4 comments:

  1. I remember forgetting a couple of things to do while I was learning to drive too. For example, I'd switched up the sides of the acceleration pedal and the brake pedal. Needless to say, it did not end well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad to know that I'm not the only one to name my car! His name is Geoff... he and Toby should hang out sometime ;)

    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had a car that small because I am horrible at parking! I think one way to remember to not leave the keys in the car is to immediately take the keys out of the ignition after puting the car into park mode. - Nick Milef

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents had a yellow (old school, not new version) VW bug when I was born!

    ReplyDelete