Thursday, March 5, 2015

Beauty Favorites






I'm a beauty product addict, I admit it. I've tried so many different products, all in search of the ones I can't bear to live without. Honestly, I don't know how I could even go on not using some of these products. They have become part of my daily routine; the first things I grab when I am in a rush. My all time, hands down, I-have-a-panic-attack-when-I-run-out-of-it product is Lush’s OceanSalt Face and Body Exfoliator. Let me just say, I have tried almost exfoliator on the planet and this is really the absolutely best one of all time. For me, it's too abrasive to use on my face, but it's perfect for the body. It's made with sea salt, avocado butter to soften, and organic lime juice to brighten. 


I use it mainly to exfoliate the dead skin off my legs before I shave. Since I use exfoliators before I shave, I need to make use they don't leave behind a greasy residue that will clog up my razor. Unfortunately, ALL of the exfoliators I have used have done this, except this one. I use it once a day in the summer (I don't have sensitive skin so I can get away with this) and the large size pot (8.8 fl oz) lasts me around 2-3 months. The price might seem high for a product most people feel is unnecessary ($35.95 for the 8.8 fl oz. or $21.95 for the 4.2 fl oz. that's pictured above), but it really makes all the difference in my daily routine. For my face, I use OleHenriksen’s Walnut Complexion Scrub to exfoliate. I've had this for around a year (hence the slight discoloration, which is normal) because I only use it once--max twice--a week. 

First of all, it smells heavenly. I'm not sure what exactly what it smells like, but it's honestly amazing. I love that it is a gentle exfoliators and doesn't irritate my face. I use this before I wash my face with a cleanser to get rid of any dead skin and brighten up my face. Your $24 for 1.7 fl. oz. jar really goes a long way because of how long this product lasts.  Next to cleanse my face, I use Eve Lom’s Cleanser. It comes with a cotton muslin cloth to be used with the product. If you do not like products with strong smells, this is not for you. The second you open this jar, the aroma is evident. To me, it smells like ginger or gingerbread.


I've had this product for a while, but as you can see, I've only recently started digging into it. It is supposed to be put over your makeup at the end of the day and will just clean it off, as well as clean your skin. I personally like to clean my makeup off before I use this because I think that way works best to clean my skin. So I first just take a pea sized amount and massage it into my dry skin using circular motions. I usually apply this while I'm taking a shower because it's easier that way, but for this demonstration I did it in front of my sink.


In this picture I've rubbed it in and it looks a little greasy (it feels that way too) at first.  Then I wet the cloth in really hot water and ring it out a little.



Then, I press the hot cloth to my face and hold for 5 seconds (usually I just put it over my whole face at once, but for the picture I did one section at a time). 



I repeat that process 3 times to open up my proses and let the product absorb. Then, also using the cloth, I move it in circular motions to exfoliate my face a little and get the entire product off. To close my pores afterwards, I rinse the cloth in cold water and leave it on my face for 5 seconds. Make sure to clean the cloth when you’re done for the next use. It sounds like it takes a long time, but in the shower it takes about a minute to do. I really like how clean and pampered my skin feels after using this. This feeling comes at a steep price though; $80 for a 3.3 fl. oz. jar of the stuff is makes this a little more of a novelty product for me. I like it, but it's not that amazing enough for me to shell out this kind of cash for it every time. Following my cleaner, I use Cane and Austin’s Retexturizing Treatment Pads for Face. These act like an at home glycolic acid peel because the pads are made up of 10% glycolic acid. The word acid tends to freak people out, especially when they’re talking about putting it on their face. This type and concentration of acid is harmless for the skin and only will remove dead skin cells to brighten the face. I take one pad and just swipe it over my face, avoiding my eye area. 




The pads are so saturated that I usually have enough product to go over my neck and décolleté area. 


Whenever I use this product, I feel like I wake up with brighter and dewier looking skin.  It's like having a little spa treatment at home that is surprisingly affordable. For 60 pads you pay $60, so only $1 a pad really isn't bad. The packaging is also the cutest thing; the reflective top can be used as a pet toy. My birds go crazy when I shine it near them. I only use these the days when I am not using another exfoliator to make sure I don't over do it. To moisturize my skin in the end, I just started using my sample of Clinique’s Moisture Surge Gel

I am obsessed with samples. I mean, they have their own drawer in my bathroom. Currently that is overflowing and nearly closing, so I am doing my best to work through the contents. This ideal feels thick when first applied, but sinks into skin almost immediately. It is fragrance free, one of the things Clinique is known for. I love this for winter because it prevents any dry skin from popping up and is perfect to use at night. It says this can be almost used as a mask because it is so moisturizing, but I just use it as my nightly cream. Even if I forget to apply it at night, if I apply it to any dry patches in the morning, it completely gets rid of them and makes sure they are unseen under my makeup. I definitely am considering buying this in a full size when my current full size moisturizer runs out. It fairly affordable too, $38.50 for 1.7 oz and, because it is a gel, that will last a long time. For my hair, my favorite thing to use after I wash it is Kerastase Nectar Thermique Nourishing Care Heat-Protectiveblowdry primer. I just put some in my hands and then smooth it through my hair, focusing on the ends of my hair.


 It makes my hair feels so smooth and silky. It is one of the best products I have ever tried for my hair! The 150ml bottle costs $43 and is worth every drop. For the bath, I love to use Laura Mercier’s Body and Bath Almond Coconut Milk Honey Bath.


It comes with a little wooden, honey-shaped dipper that you swirl in product and then drip in the bath.


 While this doesn't produce any bubbles, it makes your bath smell absolutely amazing. I can’t wait to try all of their other scents! It also makes your skin feel really soft after the bath. Don’t forget to moisturize afterward to make sure you seal in some moisture that was lost by sitting in the bath for a while. This product is nice and the packaging is adorable, but is not necessarily a necessity in my routine. It is $45 for 12 oz., worth it if you love baths as much as I do, but if not, something to skip when buying.


If you have any questions or want some more tips on the products, email me!

8 comments:

  1. Great post! It encourages me to venture out of the world of drugstore beauty and into higher-quality product lines. (But only when I have enough money saved up!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Very descriptive take on your daily routine! How do you fit it into your schedule every day?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really had no idea that all these products could basically be used as part of a daily routine. Very informative post, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun post(:
    Gave me some ideas on what I should try out next

    ReplyDelete
  5. You made these products seem totally worth the splurge. And major props for letting us in on your routine, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very informative blog post, thanks! Have you every watched beauty videos on youtube? There are so many 'Beauty Gurus" that post videos on youtube but also have a blog with similar posts like this one! Since you are so descriptive and honest, I think you would be really good at doing something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I literally survive off of samples and "travel sizes!" Beauty brands often have those promotions that if you spend enough money, you get a free little gift, and I always dash to the shops to get as many little ones as I can. I don't know why I like so much. Honestly, I just think they're really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never been into beauty products, but it's interesting to see that each product has a purpose for making the skin/hair/etc. healthy as well as beautiful.

    ReplyDelete