Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Life as a Teenage Therapist



 Sometimes I think life would be so much simpler if I was a boy. I say this because over the years, I’ve learned that as a girl  it’s nearly impossible to escape drama. Day after day there’s some new dilemma being shared with me, and I’m often unable to keep up as my phone is flooded with texts. News flash ladies!!! The boy you like not texting you back does not call for a breakdown and the immediate need to text all your friends with the incredibly misused phrase “my life sucks.” The truth is, your life probably doesn’t suck, you’re just dealing with something a little difficult or scary. As girls we are at some point or another  going to find ourselves serving as a mentor in times of distress and sadness. So buckle up and get ready to embark on the bumpy ride that is being a mentor to emotional, irrational teenage girls.








Now don’t get me wrong, I love that my friends can trust me enough to come to me with their problems and look at me as a mentor as they go through the traumatic experience that is being a teenage girl. But over the past couple of years, it seems that the problems are getting more serious and the solutions are getting tougher to find. It used to be so easy: “Tommy said he didn’t like my hair,” “Suzy wouldn’t tell me her secret,’ “Johnny didn’t sit next to me on the bus.” Now, as we get older and the world seems to be self-destructing around us, I feel like I’m in the big leagues, and I’m feeling the pressure. I have one friend in particular that’s extremely reliant on me as a mentor, and I’ve spent countless nights on the phone with her, coaching her through her problems, no matter how trivial they may seem, because the truth is, everyone deals with their problems in different ways; some people need to talk things out, and that’s when it’s my time to shine. Even when I’m tired and stressed out and in a bad mood, if I receive a text from a distressed or upset friend,  I scrounge up every last bit of motivation I have to ensure that I give them my full attention and my best advice.




Life Lessons from Me to You
1) The importance of being a mentor- As a mentor, you are given the chance to be an important part of someone’s life and be a positive, guiding force for them. People need mentors in so many different aspects of their life because people like to know they have someone looking out for them and someone willing to be patient enough to work with them.
2) The importance of keeping a positive attitude- There are going to be some tough times along the way, but as a mentor, it’s your job to keep morale up and spirits high. It’s easy to get discouraged when things aren’t going well, but you have to do what you can to put a positive spin on things!



Need any advice on mentoring? Here are some helpful tips and tricks! Also, if you have any questions or comments, feel free to email me!



9 comments:

  1. So relatable! I've definitely had my share of high school drama and the tips really help! I also agree that being a good mentor with a positive attitude is so important in tutoring at the WSWC. I think being a tutor has definitely helped me become a better emotional mentor to my friends. Your friends are lucky to have you by their side!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was particularly drawn to your article, and once I read t, I thought to myself, "Dude, that's my life!" I'm not sure if I get the same massive problems you do (you sound like a pro), but I definitely get where you're coming from.
    The best part about it is in your moments of weakness, those friends that you helped will really be there for you.
    Loved your post; does it show?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely relate to the problems you have to help friends out with getting tougher as you get older! I've lost so much sleep because this person said this and started drama with this and then he said and she replied...the idea of a positive attitude is definitely something I'll try to implement more though (I'm usually too caught up in drama to look on the bright side ^ ^)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously the story of my life, I am always the therapist + relationship counselor for my friends, but a positive attitude can always help, and I like that my friends value my advice/opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand! I'm always having to help my friends out with advice (which I don't mind at all, in fact I actually enjoy it) but they never seem to give me advice when I need it. Hmmmmm..

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally me! I always give my friends advise no matter what the situation may be, but crazy thing is I struggle to follow the same tips I give them:/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can relate to this as well. I am definitely the type that wants to resolve a problem for my friend but there usually isn't an immediate answer to a person's problems. When I don't know what do I have learned that it is best to just listen and let them know that you care. I tell them that I will be praying for them and that I am hear for them when they need me. But that doesn't mean I don't set boundaries. We all need to preserve our sanity and get enough sleep so if our friends are robbing us of our emotional steam then I don't think that is healthy for either one of you or the relationship between you two. It may seem mean, but there is only so much that you can do and ultimately are issues are best resolved in God's hands. I don't mean to sound preachy, but that's just my thoughts about helping out friends!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I feel like being a writing tutor is just therapy for essays. Often, the issues someone has with their writing is reflective of the issues he or she is facing in real life. If your friend is having problems, say, with conjuctive phrases, see if he or she is having trouble making sense of an issue or maybe fitting their schedule together! It might help you help others.

    ReplyDelete