Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Martial Arts Courses Kick Butt!

You may have seen all the action-packed Bruce Lee movies, the comical Jackie Chan films, the tear-jerking Karate Kid flicks, and the inimitable moves in the Matrix series—but martial arts are more than simply “for show”. Martial arts tame the mind as well as the body and are beneficial in almost every aspect of life. Being a martial artist for about three years now, I can unquestionably say it has made a significant impact in my life. Not only can I kick higher than my own head, but I can kick confidently, and I bring that confidence with me everywhere I go. Trying out a martial arts course will be one of the most valuable experiences in your life, which why I highly encourage you to work up the courage and try it for yourself! Not convinced? I bet I can change your mind within the next couple paragraphs.


Now, there are countless styles of martial arts. There’s Taekwondo, Karate, Judo, Kung Fu, Aikido, Jiu-Jitsu, Mixed Martial Arts, and many others that stem from diverse countries of origin. Not only will you learn jaw-dropping kicks and techniques, but you learn about the culture as well. Each style of martial arts is different and many cultural customs come into play when trying them out. Are you interested but don’t know which one’s best for you? Try some out at random! Surely, you’ll find one you like.

Who convinced me to pursue a martial arts course? My parents. I have been practicing Taekwondo, a Korean martial art, for which my parents signed me up initially without my permission.  I did not take interest in the sport (or any sport at the time for that matter), but they wanted me to get my daily exercise in and stay healthy. I was skeptical at first, but from the minute I threw my first kick in the studio, I knew that this was the sport for me. The artistic movements of the forms, the aggressive sparring matches, meeting new friends, and delivering powerful board breaks contributed to my everlasting love of the sport. I have been taking Taekwondo classes for three years now, and I am getting closer and closer to my black belt.


Honestly speaking, the coolest part of practicing a style of martial arts is the “for show” part. Having my friends and family watch me slice a board in half and gaze in amazement makes me feel proud of myself. Not many people practice the sport, so if you want to impress your friends and family with a flying kick, this is the sport for you!

Martial Arts are so easy to learn with practice which enables anyone to learn it. There are people of all ages in my class, from age five to age forty-five, so it’s never too late to start! Don’t forget the self-defense aspect of the martial arts. As unfortunate as it is, people can be insane. Attackers are everywhere you turn. With practice of martial arts, you would be able to defend yourself from punches, kicks, and other forms of physical harassment from aggressors. Hopefully, you will never have to, but it happens every day.


Because practice and focus are an important aspect of learning martial arts, emotional and mental strength are attained. It teaches self-discipline as well as good behaviors and etiquette that cannot always be taught in the common classroom. Martial arts studios are a judgment-free environment. If a student makes a mistake, an instructor or another student will help them out. The belt system also teaches patience and determination. It takes about four to five years to earn a black belt, and there have been many times where I slowed down in learning my belt techniques, but I persevered and I am almost there. This system will help in any situation such as in school, working in an actual work place, or in a situation where you’re trying something new.

As you can see, taking up martial arts has a variety of benefits (it can also be a unique side activity to brighten up your college resume)!  Personally, I enjoy it very much and look forward to attending an hour class four to five times a week. I feel fit and ready to take on any challenges life has for me. Still not convinced? Try out these moves and see if you’re any good:


Ha! Made you try out martial arts for a short bit! You wanna try it for real? Free trials are available at most martial arts schools! Here is my school (EMA Center) if you’re interested in signing up for Taekwondo (I hope to see you there sometime!). There are lots of schools in the area and you’ll notice that many of the students will most likely attend your own academic school. I hope you’ll try it out sometime…but if not, I hope you’ll at least be inspired to watch a martial arts movie!

Questions? Comments? Want more information/personal experiences? Contact me! Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I love Jackie Chan movies!! Haven't watched some in a long time but I use to watch them all the time with my brothers then after that we would practice some of the fighting moves. They tried to teach me how to fight and we would spar all the time. I love martial arts and wish I could find the time to learn it. I really want to try Aikido cause I love Japanese culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cool that you do this, Candice! I am super impressed!

    ReplyDelete