Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Comfort or Confinement?




            There is such a thing as too familiar. Change is limited in scope and things begin to blur together. Days tend to resemble each other and years get vaguely summarized. Life can be too predictable when you are around the same people and places for 16 years.
           
            I was born in Alexandria Hospital and I have gone to school primarily in the Fairfax area. Because all I have been exposed to is Virginian culture, I lack an adequate perspective concerning the rest of the world. 
           
            My belief is that wherever you live and however long you have lived there should not hold you back from LEAVING. Something I keep hearing (and quite frankly, find ridiculous) is the notion that you should stay true to familiarity because it is your home. If you want to part ways (even temporarily) from your origins: do it. Do not let anything hold you back from experiencing more and learning more about yourself. Don’t limit your perspective to what you are comfortable with and never feel that taking risks might not be worth it in the end.

            Considering my age, I have yet to fully explore the world. I have been around the western part of the world including California, New York, and Puerto Rico. But, at the time, I was reluctant to try new things (mostly because I was with my family and friends). I relied on familiarity, not allowing new places to shape me.


            California: At the time, I was a rising eighth-grader whose main concern was what day we were going to Disneyland. But in all fairness, I still had the capacity to appreciate what was around me. If I learned anything in that state, it was that I loved everything about it.
            New York: I have to say that the big city did nothing but impress. When you look past the rude people and the garbage everywhere, it is truly magical. The city gave me a greater sense about the massive world outside of Virginia.
            Puerto Rico: Although technically a U.S. territory, the island was far from what I am used to. I traveled there with my friends, had a blast, but probably missed so many opportunities to step outside of my comfort zone.

            So far, I have been to some great places, but I have not truly traveled. One day I’ll learn so much more about myself when I journey across seas and find myself in another continent.

            I want to expand my bubble, escape from the familiarity that is Virginia, and experience something, anything new. It is my opinion that everyone should escape the familiar and find the unusual.

Questions? Anything to add? Email me.

5 comments:

  1. I completely relate to getting comfy in NOVA (I'm a Fairfax Hospital baby). Now, or at least 6 months from now, I am going to move 8 hours away and leave everything I know, everything I find comfortable. It's been starting to really stress me out, but I think this post is a sweet reminder of how valuable new experiences are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have lived in NOVA my whole life and I cannot wait to explore other states and countries. I especially want to visit Puerto Rico and maybe Greece. My parents are planning on moving next year and I know I am going to miss my friends and the familiarity of where we live but I am also excited to live somewhere new.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lived in VA for nearly my whole life, and I just found out that I am moving to North Carolina. My friends keep telling me that this is a good opportunity and that everything happens for a reason, and i totally agree with them. But it is occasionally hard for me to cope when I realize that I'm leaving the only state I've ever known as "home". This post really helped to encourage me to try new opportunities and be more positive about the whole thing, thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've lived in VA my whole life (Fairfax Hospital baby just like India) too, but I've traveled a lot. I will say, though, that traveling is different than moving. Hopefully I'll be moving up to Vermont next year, and I'm so nervous about everything - the climate mostly. I think it's important to remember that there's always a home to return to, and this post reminded me of that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyone keep journals on your travels - it's so important! You see things differently when you're away from the familiar. Plane flights always get me in the writing mood, personally.

    -Ms. G

    ReplyDelete