Monday, March 9, 2015

Leading the Way

What is being a leader? It’s not just about carrying the superb title. As Stan Lee said, “with great power comes responsibility.” The responsibility of being a role model is having to set good examples to others.

The dysfunctional trio
Being the oldest out of three, I have learned that many of my actions have great affects on my siblings. Being the oldest has its good and bad though. Sometimes I feel like the whole world is on my shoulders because of the amount of responsibilities I have in the house. My siblings look up to me in every way, so I know that I must always lead by example. 

I talk about my little brother a lot. A little too much actually. So why not write a blog post about the one person I talk about the most? My brother Rayan, who is now 5 years old, copies everything I do.  Now that he is a bit older, he has found his sense of dependency and does his own thing around the house (I hate to see him grow up, but the birdies have to leave the nest one day!!) When I used to come home to do my homework, he used to sit beside me at my desk and pretend to write words on a piece of paper… leading by example at its finest!! I know that I am closely watched by Rayan, so I try my best to set an admirable example since I have a great influence on him. However, it is pretty hard to pretend to act like a perfect role model; like the times when I am forced to eat the broccoli at the dinner table, just so that Rayan will eat his veggies too. Yuck. I’m not a huge fan of veggies.

Me having to fake a nap so that he would fall asleep.
 As you can see, I was frustrated at the
 fact that he wouldn't take his nap.

Great attempt, huh?
Teaching is an essential key to being a leader. Educating others is one of the main focuses serving as a leader. Since my brother is learning new things day by day, he needs someone to guide him throughout his most precious time of development. Things as  simple as telling him to put on his shoes the right way or even reminding him to flush the toilet is an example of the leadership role I take in the household. As he was younger, I slowly started to teach him the alphabet. I also do this with my kids at the day care I currently work in, Little Acorn’s Patch (fun fact!!). I first taught him how to recognize letters and then the pronunciation. Of course, this was not a quick process; it took him a couple years to master the alphabet. Now that Rayan is familiarized with the alphabet, he is learning how to read. I must say, PATIENCE IS KEY when it comes to being in a leadership position. You need lots of it. Trying to improve or change something should be a priority in a leader's agenda and it may take time so keep in mind that you will need patience! If you ever need some advice on leadership skills, feel free to email me! I don't bite :)

Peep the Writing Center Shirt 

3 comments:

  1. The way your brother imitates you because wants to be like you is very cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think its amazing how you can have such a big impact on your bothers life and it seems like you're doing a good job leading him the right way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The photo of you guys "napping" is SO funny.

    ReplyDelete