Thursday, March 5, 2015

Describing, Not Defining

“I’m an American, I’m not an African-American”
            This simple statement was uttered by Raven-Symoné in an interview five months ago, and it sent the nation into a frenzy.   The whole ordeal was immediately blown way out of proportion by the interviewer, Oprah Winfrey, and her overly shocked reaction set the tone for the backlash that would follow.  Yet, here I am, months later, still attempting to understand the motivation behind the uproar.
            Many serious and personal topics were covered during the interview, but when the question of her sexuality arose Raven responded with, “I do not want to be labeled gay…I’m tired of being labeled”.  Elaborating on her statement, the comment of, “I’m not African-American”, was used as an example of another label that she does not appreciate, which was met by an, “Oh my lord!”, among other surprised exclamations, from Oprah.    
            When I first heard about the statement, I was a little thrown, despite having heard similar sentiments in the past, because the commentary made by the newscasters made it seem as though Raven was ashamed of her race.  However, I thought it best to hear it for myself, and it immediately became apparent that Raven’s issue was not with the label, but with the act of labeling itself. 
Being a fan of Raven-Symoné since the That’s So Raven years, I have periodically checked in on the gossip surrounding her. From her weight to her sexuality people have constantly been attempting to put a label on the star.  Is she fat? Is she skinny? Is she straight?  Is she gay?  Her young life has consisted of speculation on what to label her, and she has understandably gotten fed up with it.  Yet few understand her frustrations and question why she specifically has a problem with the label regarding her own race. 
This is where I can relate.  My dad was born and raised in the south with the majority of his family living in Myrtle Beach.  My mom on the other hand spent her childhood between the Caribbean islands of Aruba and Saint-Martin.  When people have learned of my Caribbean heritage, I have recently been peppered with the question, “Does that still count as African American?”, and even after assurance that, yes, it does count, they seem to not fully believe me.  Aside from the ridiculousness of the question, I simply do not understand the infatuation behind determining my race.  I take no offense from the inquiry, as I have often done the same about other’s heritage, but I do not comprehend why people have the burning desire to fit me into one specific category.  Despite what anybody wants to call me, it will have no effect on who I am. Yet, we to see it every day: people constantly attempting to stick each other into these arbitrary, cookie cutter groupings.
The fact is while labels can be a source of personal identification and empowerment, they can also do a lot of harm.  Putting so much importance on separating each other into different sub-groups, can make people feel inferior or out of place, and limits other’s perceptions of them.  While I see nothing to gain from eliminating all labels entirely, perhaps we can all take the time to realize that while labels can describe us, they do not define us, and maybe one day we can all see each other as the unique individuals that we are.     



What was your reaction to Raven-Symoné’s statement?  How do you feel about labels? Any questions, comments, or concerns? Send me an email! 

4 comments:

  1. Raven Symone is one of my favorite Disney Channel actors! I think its important and awesome that she uses her influence in society especially through the youth to send out these messages. Her contributions to society will help us forge a new era and movement in America that will help eliminate things like racism or discrimination to any group, and provide a sense of security and confidence in many lives as they won't be afraid to be who they are instead of living in fear or being discriminated due to just who they truly are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! First off, you wrote this very well, but I also just really like that you addressed this topic! People can be so insistent on deciding what people are based on labels, and so often I wonder what the point of that is. People are just people! I've seen it plenty of times, and I completely agree that you and others will still be who you are no matter what labels people try to force onto you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree in the notion that one should not label someone due to the possibility of it making someone feel small. I feel that labeling does far more harm than good and I think it's a habit that all generations have struggled with. Anyways, I loved this post, you had some great points!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a well-written post about a very important topic!

    - Ms. G

    ReplyDelete