Monday, March 9, 2015

Block, Your Time Is Done

             Tick! Tock! Tick Tock!... the clock goes on and on and on. Can this class drag on any longer? My bottom hurts from sitting in this plastic chair. My back hurts from hunching over for such a long time. The sun has been shining through the window, into my eyes for what seems like an eternity! My mind cannot absorb another fact about World History. I have been in this class for 90 full minutes and every second has dragged on.
                                                           
                                                   Above is an image of the Block Schedule
                                                    at West Springfield High School (2015)
           
               In Northern Virginia, block scheduling has been implemented, rather than the basic 45 minute or hour long class. All over the country, high schools use different class schedules, but in Fairfax County, ‘Block’ is preferred. Block scheduling allows for four full periods to occur in each day  length approximately 90 minutes. Yikes! That’s a long time. I am so sick and tired of these 90 minute classes. Many teachers and administrators prefer the block schedule because it allows for more time in a certain class, to teach thorough lessons or perhaps complete a full lab of some sort, in the science department. A lab simply cannot be completed in a mere 40 minutes!
           In certain situations, block scheduling makes sense. However, a block schedule definitely has its drawbacks. The teen brain can only hold an attention span for soooo long. Forty minutes of Calculus- EASY….. 90 minutes- get me outttta here!!! Even teachers admit to losing their focus after a good chunk of time in class and need a break to sit down for a minute or so. So which schedule is better for the students when the ultimate goal is to learn new information? I believe the block schedule has had a chance and now we all need a change.

           Experiencing forty minute classes in Middle School allowed for a faster paced atmosphere while in school. Block scheduling only allows 3 classroom switches a day as opposed to 6! Personally, having the mindset of, “I will be out of here in 39 minutes” allows me to focus better in class and on the material. Attention spans, especially for seniors, are limited. I believe there should be a class every day that is 90 minutes, but that period can alternate? Allowing for every teacher to receive their chance of having a block schedule with every student. I think this is a fair alternative. So if the dreaded labs do need to be completed… they can be. This schedule style would allow students to experience a fast paced day of school. Please, I’d like to know what you think. E-mail me your responses and ideas at: fclinkenbeard@gmail.com! Check out more on the School Schedule debate at http://www.nassp.org/Content.aspx?topic=57198

4 comments:

  1. I agree that the block schedule has been around for a while. I like the idea you proposed as well - it would make a nice change. Both sides have pros and cons, and it'd be a good idea to consider the possibility of a changing schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with you attention span point. I have a very limited attention span, so I often find my self zoning out halfway through class, especially with teachers who like to lecture. I believe my friend's school uses a schedule with two 90 minute blocks a day instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you attention span point. I have a very limited attention span, so I often find my self zoning out halfway through class, especially with teachers who like to lecture. I believe my friend's school uses a schedule with two 90 minute blocks a day instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see pros and cons to both block and shorter periods, but you do bring up good points!

    ReplyDelete