Friday, March 6, 2015

What I've Learned From Dumb Rap Music

Weird music is my thing. I don't mean counter-culture punk music or your run-of-the-mill indie rock. I mean weird music, post contemporary political gangster rap, or minimalist psychadelic pop, kind of weird. But one of my favorite parts of exploring weird music is how smart some of it is. My favorite artist, Kool A.D. (pictured below) has said things like "You could hate me now// You could Drake me later// You could cake me, hater" in a song called "Beautiful Psychedelic Gherkin Exploding Tomato Sauce All Over Your Face, Flame-Grilled Pain" (named after a painting of the same title (the name had no significance in the work(nor did the work have its own significance if you ask me))).
But he has also written raps about circular dependancy in mutually destructive busines relationships with the consumer and is writting a book which satirizes modern societal standards entitled Joke Book. His work alternates between absolute nonsense and pure genius, what he
once described as a little bit of column A and a little not of column B in his early work in a group called Das Racist. Because of this duality, he often calls himself "the dumb shiny" and never had a whole song as one, always alternating between them. One of my favorite nugget of shiny lyrics has really been an aphorism through my tutoring and mentoring experience: "I work hard like UC students // I see teachers where you see students".
     Students come on to get tutored by people withmore experience than them do the expected paradigm is for the student to learn from the tutor and but vice versa. There definitely are teachers in those students though; I've learnt infinite amounts from the students I've tutored, but only in writing writing style or in the subject area of their papers but also in how be a better tutor. All human interactions are inherently just two-way exchanges of information, and so everyone is teaching, and you can learn, as long as you just listen.

Thanks Kool AD!

3 comments:

  1. Adore all kind of audio especially if it is a good one. Checkout he here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's kind of cool. I also enjoy weird music, but haven't looked to see the genius between the lines. I'll have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice link between your personal interests and tutoring.

    ReplyDelete