Thursday, March 5, 2015

Roaming the Roads of Rome

I consider myself a young traveler.

No, I have not been everywhere on this planet, but I sure do have a bucket list. While I don't think it's ready to be shared with you yet, I do have some tips on my latest trip, during which I happened to visit the second-best city in the entirety of Europe (according to travel sites, and me, of course): Rome, Italy.

Let me take you on a little tour...






My flight produced a cloud of jet-lag that consumed me for the next several days, but that wouldn't stop me from making my first stop at the huge Piazza del Popolo, followed by Piazza di Spagna. One of the amazing things about this city is the unique squares featured all across the city, each with its own distinguishable features. The Piazza del Popolo, for example (shown above), is dedicated to the people of Rome and fulfills this duty by hosting numerous events throughout the year, including fireworks, family activities, and talented performers on New Year's.



Another feature visitors and residents alike take advantage of (especially right after the holidays) is the shopping. It is easy to locate your favorite shop-filled street once you find your way around. Via Condotti, with one of its shops pictured on the left, is a popular shopping street that is a must-see if you're looking for some designer taste. I, however, am not designer fashion inclined, so I had to do a little more searching to find the little souvenirs and gifts I had had in mind.








Here are a few of my own finds:

First of all, do not get me started on this absolutely amazing gelato. Regardless of what other review sites may sayGiolitti is a cute little shop worth looking for. I ordered a scoop of creamy oreo biscotti and one of sweet blueberry with a slab of fresh whipped cream on the side (which was free, may I add). The experience turned out to be one of the highlights of my trip...

Next stop: what I call the Pinocchio shop. Wood shops are found on every street corner in Rome and other cities as well (no scarcity of them in Florence, for instance), but the one I happened upon is Bartolucci (pictured below), which hand makes all of its crafts and paints them, too. There is something for everyone; I chose a cute wooden whale and a small heart-shaped box. The best thing about this particular shop: the clerk wore a name tag that read "Gepetto." Even if this isn't his real name, it still added a little fun to the experience.




One of the most memorable experiences here, though, was spending Christmas seeing the one and only Pope Francis.

Every Christmas, New Year's, and Easter, the Pope delivers a special blessing addressed to the people of the world. However, only during on Christmas and Easter does he give his address right from the window of the Basilica.





One of the great sounds to hear was the crowd of people all chanting Papa or "Father" and to see the smiles on all their faces.








Since it was a warm day, I couldn't help but make my way to the Orange Gardens, known as Parco Savello








I wouldn't suggest trying the fruit itself... It's a bit tart.




Do not miss this view, whatever you do. The Villa del Priorato di Malta features the site of a 10th century Benedictine monastery along with this lovely keyhole, which gives viewers a spectacular look at the Basilica in Vatican City through the trees of the old headquarters of the Knights of Malta, although my camera didn't do the view any justice.








Last but not least, you cannot leave this sprawling city without seeing the ancient Colosseum. The pictures say everything that needs to be said:


 

                      Day                        vs.               Night


I am super excited to go back this spring and am currently adding to my list the cities of Naples and Pompeii. At this point I can honestly say this about my travels: "To be continued..."


Questions, comments, tips, or an urge to talk about all things travel? Email me anytime.





7 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos. I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Это сообщение было удивительно! я надеюсь, мы сможем поехать в Италию вместе в один прекрасный день #NOVAtoNaples

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those photos are amazing! You're so lucky to have gone to so many beautiful places(:

    ReplyDelete
  4. This blog makes me so jealous! I want to travel to Rome one day as well. Thanks for the awesome pictures and all the details. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow those photos are amazing! The gelato looks especially yummy! I hope to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love this post! I cannot believe that you have travelled like this at such a young age. I am so envious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos and description. You are a natural travel writer!

    -Ms. Goransson

    ReplyDelete